Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-13-2000, 02:26 AM
"BB Duster Maniac"

Thumbs up

Friday, I e-mailed Edelbrock to try and get some information from these guys about their big block heads. I got their reply this morning, and they said the Performer RPM heads "will be available this fall, possibly September." They also said the heads will perform better than the Indy SR heads. If that's true, those heads will be REAL strong players!
Anyone else hear anything about the release and/or performance of these heads lately?

------------------
www.mindspring.com/~dusterdave
Old 06-14-2000, 03:39 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Duster dave, did they happen to tell you the cost,jegs had them in a cataloge about a month ago for 1295.00.I haven't seen them since in any new catalogs.Are they a direct bolt on?Closed chambered or open?My engine builder said the small block heads have alot of problems,they are closed chambered and don't flow good out of the box.He did say there is plenty of material to hog out for porting.
Old 06-14-2000, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

those listed for $1295 were a misprint,they were supposed to be listed as the small block heads and the BB one's will be closed chamber,the machinest that just did a 340 for a buddy thought the SB ones were nice ????
Old 06-15-2000, 05:56 PM
"BB Duster Maniac"

Cool

Demon,
Edelbrock gave no specifics, just that they are shooting for better flow than the SR's.
As far as quality with their heads, I know two guys that have their heads in 302 Mustwangs, and they never had any complaints.
Just to be safe though, I'll let some other guys buy the first batch of heads and wait for some feedback on the quality and performance.
Old 06-15-2000, 08:34 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

I probably will buy a set when they come out hey maybe I can get them to let me be a test mule and get them for half price or free. Lets see
Any one know someone at Edelbrock?

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Formula S recreation
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 06-15-2000, 11:51 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

From all the comparisons I have ever seen between the BB heads IF they use basically stock valvetrane and have the stock exhaust/intake port locations they never really make much more HP than a set of ported maxwedge heads. and yes MW heads are still being made..and they all cost about the same in the end. The only advantage I can see with buying a non-mopar performance part is the fact that you can get the parts in a reasonable amount of time(Unlike Mopar)...
anyway my .02
Maxwedge
Old 06-16-2000, 01:57 AM

ChristianCuda, I know someone at Edelbrock. I got my parts from her and at 20percent below retail. I can email you the #.
Old 06-16-2000, 02:27 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxwedge:
The only advantage I can see with buying a non-mopar performance part is the fact that you can get the parts in a reasonable amount of time(Unlike Mopar)...
anyway my .02
Maxwedge
The only advantage I can see is that you might just get a quality part for once.
Old 06-16-2000, 02:30 AM

I would have to agree with maxwedge, on stock layout limitations. The SR has .600" long valves. (i.e. a big deal). The SR is a nice piece, and I believe, in a ported state, it is good enough to make the push-rod "the problem".
If edelbrock retains stock rocker layout, I'll be surprised to see any big improvement.
Old 06-16-2000, 03:25 AM
"BB Duster Maniac"

Cool

Keep in mind that it won't be a "race" head.
So, port size is just part of the equation. Port velocity, combustion chamber size/shape, valve sizes/angles, etc. are all factors in a great head. Quality and value, also. Hey, if I can get heads that are as good or better than Indy or MP, and I could save a hundred or two in the process, it's a no-brainer for me. To one-up the competition, Edelbrock could throw in pocket-porting at no additional charge. Hmmm, maybe I should e-mail them and put a bug in their ear.....
Old 06-16-2000, 06:21 AM
Inactive User

Don't hold your breath on the release date. As for flow,we will see. Edelbrocks other heads,aimed at the street/strip crowd,tout the fact that they are a true bolt on. No additional pieces needed. If this holds true for the BB head they would be hard pressed to outperform an Indy SR. The SR uses a raised exhaust port and a longer valve,both a great help to flow. It raises the ports and eliminates some of the neck down problems that the stock heads have on the short side radius. The SR is close to a bolt on but with these changes it is not a true bolt on piece,requires longer pushrods and longer head bolts. If the Edelbrock is a true bolt on,as the SB head is,they will have a tough time out doing the Indy piece,especially in ported form. Time will tell.
Old 06-16-2000, 08:29 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

To Brian _Wo
well...there is that...
anyway
I dont think you are going to see any significant performance gain from a unmodified bolt on head(when compared to what already is out) until soemone gets the balls and makes a twisted wedge head. Sure it will be 2k or so for the heads and all there associated hardware but we are still dealing with little more than ported max wedge heads 30 years later..come on!!
maxwedge
Old 06-17-2000, 02:52 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
To Brian _Wo
well...there is that...
Frustration sets in
Old 06-19-2000, 09:17 AM
Inactive User

Little mention is made of problems w/the SR, StageV1, or B1-BS as a bolt-on proposition. They all have raised exaust ports, some like B!-BS have offset rockers, and some require a different intake. I can use standard M-1 with my 440 w/B1-BS but had a tuff time finding someone to fabricate headers for my Challenger. You are at around $1000. for a good set! I heard tho, that Indy has a deal w/Headman. Scott Koffel told me he has been unable to find an outsource for his heads and the #3 and 6 plugs are relocated. So, tho it is true that all headers will bolt-on to the above heads(flange pattern same as stock)once in the car they will hit in several places and will have to be cut and reconfigured(which is what I had done). I'm still breaking-in my new combo and will post to y'all the results I get.

------------------

Old 06-19-2000, 06:54 PM

Question

Would the raised exh ports on the SR heads make my fenderwell headers a tight fit on my 440 dart?
Old 06-19-2000, 07:02 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

montrose-
I just spoke with Mopar tech line on friday and the techs said the Stage VI's exhaust port are raised only 1/8" inch...do you have any other info? I suppose if worst came to worst in the duster i could always do some grinding/shimming somewhere, being that i want to run the 2" CPPA's.
Old 06-20-2000, 01:18 AM
Inactive User

and none of that would matter if a guy was to put a 451 together
Old 06-20-2000, 07:29 AM
Inactive User

The CPPAs are,as is my understanding,designed for low-block. Fitting them on 440 especially w/raised port, is the problem. CPPA assured me that they would fit my application and was surprized at how much re-fabrication was neccessary. They claimed since the E-body was so much wider(engine bay)that their headers, tho designed for A-body, should fit(even w/B1-BS heads440).As far as Stage 6 in Duster go's, 1/8" sounds better than 3/8"(B1-BS)so fit may be tricky but with fewer mods than i encountered. Another variable is over-all-width of head. Mine are 1/4" wider than stock which places header primary closer to fender-well,steering box,etc. I dont think raised ports would impact a fender-well exit design quite as much(if any)as the under-chassis. Tho I am unsure of this.

------------------

[This message has been edited by montrose ram (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old 06-20-2000, 02:38 PM
Inactive User

I always questioned the stage 6 exhaust port only being an 1/8" higher. We ended up getting rid of the spool motor mounts and went to a front plate and modified the trans mount to lower the engine a little to bring the engine to the headers. I run 2" Hooker super comps in a 1980 Mirada and it took a lot of fabrication to make them fit.
Old 06-21-2000, 06:09 AM
Inactive User

The 1/8" higher exhaust ports in the Stage VI's are BS. They are closer to 1/2" higher than 1/8" higher. I compared them a long time ago with stockers, and if I remember correctly they were about 3/8" higher headerbolt location than in the stock iron heads.
Old 06-23-2000, 06:20 AM
Inactive User

Question

Say MontroseRam, by your post you seem to be using the B1BS heads. Other than the header hassles are you happy with the heads? Where are they cost wise in comparison with Stage v1s, Indy 440SRA's?
My school used to play football against Montrose back in the early 60's.

------------------
The Old Hippie Hisself
Ohippier@aol.com
Old 06-23-2000, 09:45 AM
Inactive User

Old HIPPIE-Jeez it is a small world! Did'nt think I'd get away with usin' that name very long, tho. Yes I was a gridiron Ram in the mid-late 60s! They have a little dynasty goin' on these days-State champs '98. Anyway(I'm sure the other site members are getting a little bored by now)back to your topic related question; I've just put a "built" 440 w/Koffel-Brodix B!-BS heads in a 72 Challenger. I'm still getting the combo dialed in and I'll post on this topic or start my own to tell you and others the performance I'm getting. Dave Koffel's contribution to MOPAR and his life and times appeared in MOPAR MUSCLE mag. a while back. The B-1's rich history is one reason I decided to use the B1-BS. Get ' BIG-BLOCK Mopar Performance 'by Chuck Senatore(HP Books)for a detailed comparison of the 3 heads you mentioned and more! Price-wise, they're all pretty close-with-in $300. of each other. The B1-BS with the offset intake rockers(Special order from either Crane or Koffel's Place, Huron, OH. being pricier. By the way what H.S. did you go to? I know they switched conf. in '63 then again in 69.

------------------

[This message has been edited by montrose ram (edited June 23, 2000).]
Old 06-28-2000, 10:19 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
To Brian _Wo
well...there is that...
anyway
I dont think you are going to see any significant performance gain from a unmodified bolt on head(when compared to what already is out) until soemone gets the balls and makes a twisted wedge head. Sure it will be 2k or so for the heads and all there associated hardware but we are still dealing with little more than ported max wedge heads 30 years later..come on!!
maxwedge
It seems funny that you dont think much of the Maxwedge Head when your handle is "Maxwedge"! And dont you mean canted valve instead of twisted wedge?

------------------

Old 06-28-2000, 07:07 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Actually I mean twisted wedge. Canted "Typically" have a different shape to the dome of the combustion chamber than wedges do. There is more difference than just the position of the valves. The Twisted wedge does have similar valve positions to the canted BUT the shape of the combustion chanber is still "Wedge" like...BUT its all a shade of grey. The currect prostock motors I think they call them canteds have NOTHING similar to the canted valve motors they used to produce. The new Hemi..isnt..its just has the sparkplug through the valve covers, just liek the old hemi did..But that doesnt have anything to do with the shape of the "Hemispherical" combustin chamber...
The twisted wedge heads on small block Fords is the best out of the box head available. As far as Chevies go they are in the top 5 or so..and evedently there was a manufacturer of twisted wedge heads for Mopars call Zeeker heads..in the 80s..that really kicked butt..
as far as me and my namesake..well I love Maxwedges, almost nothing cooler under the hood(cept a Hemi) but the Tech is 30 years too old to be considered competative..Mopars have been ignored to long...
my .02
Maxwedge