Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-30-2000, 01:46 AM
Inactive User

Question

I,m seeking opinions & help on this one please!! I have a BB with just about everything imaginable done to it. It runs GREAT and does everything I ask it to BUT every 1000 mi or so it will start to run ---tty and it will take a plug change to correct it. The plugs look great tan in color and no visable carbon or soot buildup. I'm using RJ12YC champions. The entire ign is MSD, the wires are Accell 300's.. I don't mind the cost of a set of plugs but changing them is a real P inna B. Thanks for your help
Old 06-30-2000, 03:43 AM
Inactive User

I recommend NGKs have had vary good luck with them I run them in all my cars with know problems
Old 06-30-2000, 03:47 AM
Inactive User

I just had the same problem with new Champions(N9YC). After talking to a local blower guru, he said that the Champs just don't hold up like they used to. He has switched to NGK on all the race cars and hot street cars he does. He recommended GR series plugs from NGK. I don't have enough miles yet to tell for sure, but they have already outlasted the Champs.
Old 06-30-2000, 05:18 PM

Check to see for spark arcing along the outside of the plug.Put car in a dark shop and see if the spark is travelling on the outside of the plug along the porcelain to the steel part. In time this will make a carbon track and get worse . Use dielectric grease on the plug boots or on the porcelain on your next plug change and see if that helps.As your plugs age the normal build up on the electrode causes some resistance and the spark looks for the easiest way out and sometimes with good wires the easiest route is down the porcelain. The msd makes alot of power and has no problem finding a new arcing point ,even with good wires and boots. Keep wires seperated and away from any potential arcing points.Try another brand of plug . The accell #134 are the same heat range as a J63 , (according to Sonnys Racing Engines)you may want to try them.
I have seen cars that ran good and in the dark you could see a ball of fire hovering around the porcelain , alot of lost energy.

[This message has been edited by rat roaster (edited June 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by rat roaster (edited June 30, 2000).]