Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-13-2001, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

Heh.

This story I've got to tell. I hardly ever race my truck simply because it's a truck and if I wanted to race I'd buy a car meant for it but this was a long time coming. The story is kinda long.

Sunday I am backing out of the driveway at the farm and checking my rear view as I do and sure enough as most times a vehicle comes over the hill top which is about 200 yards down the road. As I pull away driving normally I notice it is what looks like a brand new yellow Jeep (not the Cherokees) and he is gaining very quickly. Eventually he is riding my a$$ and I can't see much but his windshield. Well we go through all the turns and twists on that road and hit the "straightaway" as it is nicknamed. I'm not paying much attention as I was going a little slower just to piss him off. We hit the passing lane marks and I see him move over quickly to pass me. At this point I tell my friends in the truck to hang on and decide not to let him by. By this time he's already along the bed so I floor it for all she's worth and my truck downshifts but by this time he's a little past the back of my cab and he's giving it all he had and slowly passing me, at which point I noticed his 4.0L badge, but then all of the sudden he's losing ground. I'm up to 80 and my truck shifts and I blow him away. As I watch him going backwards his girlfriend is wacking him and yelling at him. I laughed my a$$ off. We get the the end of the road and I hit the gas spinning the tires all the way around the corner. He stayed way the he!! back after that. Either he thought I was a wacked out nut or I scared the he!! out of him.

I have not beat on my truck very much but I guess a little Mr. Hyde came out that afternoon. As it turns out he has been doing this to a lot of people, tailing them and then passing them at that point. He is 18 and it was a new Jeep. I'm glad I put him in his place. Although I am impressed with the torque the 360 puts out, but it sure does lack in the top-end department. I'm sure a V-6 sedan could pass me with it's speed eventually if I raced it stock like I did in this case. But as I said, I'm not using it to race, and I will not make a habit out of it. I want to haul and tow as much weight as I possibly can. That is why I bought the truck in the first place.
Old 03-14-2001, 09:44 PM

Thumbs up

Cool story and I especially like the title. I love to put tailgaters, and show offs in their place. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it just makes my day.
Old 03-15-2001, 09:48 PM

I was in the opposite situation, and you're right, a sedan can pass a 360...heh. The other night, I'm driving in West Milford, NJ. There's a stretch of Larue Rd which is 50mph. I get up behind this Ram 1500, not tailgating (I hate tailgaters so I don't do it, especially to my own kind). He's doing 40mph in the 50mph, it's a little damp out but nothing dangerous. I pull out to pass him. He romps on it. I romp on it and pass him at around 70mph. I get past him and he hits the highbeams. I flip him off, and amazingly enough he learns to do the speed limit, let along 10 OVER the speed limit. Once we hit the curves he couldn't keep up and I kept on going (Michelin XGT's are absolutely heavenly). Pisses me off when I run into a fellow Mopar driver who has to act like a total Richard. Sure, I coulda not flipped him off, but I could have not put gas in the car this morning when the little orange needle was pointing at the E. This isn't isolated to just Ram's tho, I've lost count of how many jerks drive under the speed limit, then want to race the second you pass them...I could understand it if I was one of those tailgating idiots, but thankfully that's a phase I've outgrown.

Sam
Old 03-15-2001, 11:12 PM
Self proclaimed expert

I feel for you, I got stuck behind several cars yesterday and even though I didn't hit the gas for a mile or so, I hit the brakes three times to keep from nudging the truck in front of me. 17 in a 35 is a little slow for my taste. I didn't want to tailgate, but at 17mph there's not much choice...LOL
Old 03-15-2001, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

Marlin,

Funny you should metion that. I usually do the speed limit and all but he was right there on my bumper almost and what better way to prove a point. Go just a little slower than post. In NY if they hit you from behind ticket for sure "Following to closely" I have no problem with people passing me but I hate when people tailgate me. If he had stayed back reasonably and passed me I would have had no problem but this was making me mad. Speaking of V-6 sedans I raced one on I-90. This is only the second time I ever raced my truck and this one was when I first got it. I was coming home and I noticed this Ford Taurus go blowin by me at about 100 was my guess and then I notice a brand new Chevy Lumina gaining quicky on me in the fast lane so I passed the car I was passing and went to move over but he weaved between the slow car and me and proceeded to pass me in the slow lane so I hammered down and he inched very very slowly ahead of me as we picked up speed and when I looked at the speedo I was goin 110!! (Don't tell anyone) bad me, very bad me!! Like I said he inched past me very slowly during this and managed to get about half of his car past my front bumper so he was ahead. He probably would have gotten past me eventually but HAHA ahead of him was a slow car and my lane was clear so he hit the brakes and I went flyin by him with my horn a blowin!! I passed the car, moved over, watched him do the same, and as he passed me I layed on the horn again, hung out the window, and gave him both fingers as he passed. Bonus!! His wife and 2 turd kids were in the back with wide eyes. What a good husband/dad he was!! The End!! NOT! There is more. My buddy in his S-10 saw it all since he was following and he happened to have a CB. About 20 miles down the road who do I see but the Ford and Chevy nabbed by a state trooper. I ducked and laughed my ass off. He had called them in and given them a position and they caught them!
Old 03-16-2001, 09:03 AM

I had that happen to me the other day on the New York State Thruway with a CEMENT TRUCK. I was doing about 65mph in the center lane, when the cement truck catches up doing about 80mph. I catch up with the car in the slow lane (leaving just enough room so the cement truck couldn't make it at all, I don't understand how he could have done it in the first place), and all I hear is the lovely sound of him engine-braking to avoid ramming a Caprice from behind.

My personal favorite is my car's uncanny ability to keep Mustang GT's in check... Gotta love the look on their faces when they're side by side with a 4-door that won't back down.

Sam
Old 03-28-2001, 06:17 AM
Banned

I hate and I mean HATE people who drive slower then the speed limit and when you go to pass them they speed up so you can't pass them then wether or not you pass them they slow down.....WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT ABOUGHT!!!
Old 03-28-2001, 09:00 AM

One thing I noticed, my work van, a '97 Plymouth Voyager, likes to speed up when people are passing it. All I have is the cruise control set, and the second someone pulls out to pass the damned van accelerates, half the time I have to hit the brakes cos of it.

Fun thing to do with those people who do what you say, is pass them, then slow down to the speed you were going to drive... If they're slower, slow down even more...until they want to pass YOU....then punch it so all they see is DODGE in front of them.

Sam
Old 03-28-2001, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

LOL

Good stories! I know how you all feel being there at one point or another. I actually decided to see how much my truck could take and I took off from a light with nothing but road ahead and I got the RPM's slightly over 5000! What power and take off was great.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:29 PM
Inactive User

Angry

Years ago I drove 18 wheelers coast to coast regularly. So what I am about to say doesn't apply to all truck drivers, just those with power trips.
I do a lot of driving daily for my job. I normally drive 1000 to 1200 miles weekly. The vehicles I drive regularly are a Ford E250 with a 4.9L(300 ci) inline six, a Ford E350 with a V10, and a Suburban 1500 with a 350.
As you can see there is a wide range of performance there. Sorry there are no MoPars. The six cylinder can't get out of its own way, and I have no idea how fast the V10 is because the speedo only goes to 110 mph, and the van goes MUCH faster.
Anyway, I do a lot of back roads driving, you know 2 lane black top, no passing lanes, and few passing zones. Sooner or later I will drive up behind a truck who is usually going slower than I. WHen we get to a passing zone, somehow the truck driver finds more speed for a few hundred yards and then slows down again. It's not so bad in the E350, it has enough muscle to out perform the trucks. The Suburban and the E250 are slugs. Unless there is a really long passing zone, I'm doomed to remain behind this jerk who is going to slow down as soon as we're past the passing zone.
The biggest jerks seem to be gravel truck driver, pulp wood drivers, and log drivers. Sometimes when I finally get in front of them and they're riding my a$$ I wait for the hills and slow down so they have to down shift like crazy. This puts them going up the grade at about 10 or15 mph. Believe me, that really pi$$e$ them off.
As far as truckdriving tailgaters are concerned, I've found that Dump truck and tow truck drivers are the best at it. Tow truck drivers think they own the road. It must be because they know all the cops. Knowing the cops doesn't make you a good truck driver. In fact I think it makes you worse.
Old 03-29-2001, 04:24 PM
Banned

That's funny I am one of those a$$hole truck drivers ridding on peoples asses!!! I don't mean to but it just happens, people pull out in front of me all the time and do 10 MPH and it drives me crazy!!!
Old 03-29-2001, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

If a trucker tails me which has happened in both my current trucks I'd just floor it and even the ol 100 would pull away on those back roads leavin them choking on my dust. Those trucks don't handle like a smaller vehicle. I've ridden in my uncle's trucks before. At least now with my 360 I dont' have any problems passing like I used to with the 3.9. BTW, tailing is bad and I rarely do it. It's just too dangerous.
Old 03-30-2001, 05:48 PM
Inactive User

Question

Dudge, Do you drive a tractor trailer or a straight job, or are you talking about your pick up?

I drove NY to Chicago to San Jose to LA to Brooklyn twice a month. I don't know if people were better drivers then, or if they were just more polite, but I don't recall ever having to deal with so many idiots as there are on the raod today. Maybe it's just that there is more traffic than ever before.
Between tailgaters, slow drivers, people not using turn signals, and the idiots who decide to challange the world during rush hour traffic, we're lucky more people aren't killed or injured daily.
Road rage is up, and being courteous to anyone is out of the question.
Last week I'm stopped in the middle of I 75 for about an hour during a traffic jam. An overturned tanker has the interstate closed. I'm in the right lane with my van shut off. I look to my right and here comes an idiot on the shoulder past me and then decides he is going to get in front of me. I got out of my van and asked,"Why are you there"?
I guess the question took him by surprise. He didn't have an answer. He then asked if he could get in front of me. I asked why he was there again. He said he was trying to get home. I explained to him that was what we were all doing there, and that traffic laws applied to him as well as all of us who were waiting even longer than he was. he said "Yes sir". Because he was polite to me, I let him in front of me.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:26 AM

I absolutely love it when I'm stuck in traffic and some dumb !@#$'s start flying up the shoulder at mach1. I usually feel better tho once traffic picks up and see their car embedded in the rear of another one...on the shoulder. Sometimes if I'm feeling discourteous(sp?) I'll just plant half my Dodge in the shoulder...Oh they can still pass me, but they're gonna have to bleed to do it.

Sam
Old 04-02-2001, 09:17 AM
Mopar Nut!!

Angry

I think that the problem is that everyone has to own thier own car and because there are more vehicles on the road, the highways can't handle the extra volume. At least here in RI, the main highway, Rt. 95, is always backed up because there are too many cars and not enough highway to accomodate them and because of the higher volume of cars there are twice as many accidents. I've seen a lot of meatheads like you guys are describing on the roadways, I just let 'em pass by....they seem to be in a hurry to go no where....

steve