Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-24-1999, 06:52 AM
Inactive User

CAN ANY ONE GIVE SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR 4 bbl.CARB AND INTAKE FOR MY DAILY DRIVER D-100, IT HAS A 318, AUTO TRANS,STOCK REAR END,AC, PS. WOULD LIKE A BIT MORE PEP, TRAILER CARS SOME TIME. WHICH CHOKE, ELEC, HEAT? I DO NOT WANT TO OVER CARB, JUST ENHANCE PERFORMANCE. THANKS
Old 07-24-1999, 04:38 PM
Inactive User

I have a 86 Ramcharger and this is what I'm going to use.The Edelbrock performer manifold and either the Edelbrock 600 cfm carb or a Holley 600cfm.I am also going to put in a stock replacement 340 camshaft too.I like the Edelbrock manifold as it has the thermostat outlet in the factory spot so I can use my A/C.I put this setup on a friend's 4x4 Ramcharger and it worked very well.Nice idle and lots of power.Good gas mileage too.I am putting on dual exhaust next weekend,using the 96 magnum exhaust manifolds and 2 1/4 pipe with a crossover tube,street hemi mufflers and dual cats.I use my Ramcharger as a daily driver and to tow my Dart to the track with.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited July 24, 1999).]
Old 07-25-1999, 07:33 AM
Inactive User

Smile

CHRISTOPER, ONCE AGAIN YOU HAVE ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS IN A KNOWLEDGABLE AND HELPFUL WAY, SOMEDAY I WILL HAVE TO TREAT YOU TO DINNER! NOW BACK TO THE TOPIC, I DON'T KNOW ANY ONE THAT HAS TRIED THE EDELBROCK CARB, DOES IT WORK WELL? I'VE SEEN PACKAGES IN JEGS FOR THIS CARB, INTAKE AND CAM FOR A LITTLE OVER $500, NOT TO UNREASONABLE, DO I NEED THE NON EGR, IT ONLY LISTS COMPLETE PACKAGE AS NON. I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT CHOKE TO USE. I WANT SMOOTH IDLE, EASY START UP, I'M NOT SURE IF I WANT TO PUT IN CAM AT THIS POINT. MOSTLY I JUST WANT BETTER THROTTLE RESPONSE, A LITTLE MORE POWER, AND BE ABLE TO MAKE A LITTLE TIRE SMOKE AT THE NATS AND WHERE EVER. THANKS AGAIN.
Old 07-25-1999, 02:23 PM
Inactive User

I saw the same package at Jeg's also.I personally like the electric choke,although the well choke works just as good.I have never used a Edelbrock carb.I've always been a Holley fanatic,as I've never had any problems with them.I am considering the Edelbrock mainly because of price.I'm going to eliminate the EGR.My brother-in-law has a 750 Edelbrock carb on his 390 AMX,he hasn't had any problems with it,although I belive he had to tune it a bit.I have put several 340 replacement cams in 318's with a small carb and good intake,it really wakes the 318 up.If I were you I'd really consider it.The 4x4 Ramcharger that I did this to,the owner says it will pull his two axle boat and trailer up a steep grade easily where as before it wouldn't.He says his gas mileage is up by 3mpg too.I also did this to my first car,a 72 Duster with a 318 and I was getting 22mpg.All the cars and trucks that I have done this conversion on,(9 of 'em!!) they have all idled at 600 in drive,and had a tremendous power increase.Headers help too,along with dual exhaust,but I want my Ram to be quiet,so that's why I'm using the magnum exhaust manifolds.
Old 07-25-1999, 04:54 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

MY father has a 83 ramcharger4wd.It has a factory 4bbl intake.you can put it beside a 72& up340 and 75& up360 4bbl intake and they are twins. The only drawback is it is a spreadbore intake. WE recently rebuilt the 318 all stock except for the mopar 260/268 duration 430/450 lift cam.The thermoquad was shot so we bought an adapter plate 14.95 MR.G and put on a 600 edelbrock carb.It still retains all emmisions.The only other mods were duel exhaust with duel cats. All elese is stock and it pulls just fine. I dont know if these intakes are available where you live but they are here.just a thought on a little factory performance.

cuderdude!