Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-12-2000, 02:38 AM
Inactive User

It's been a while since I've been here. Whew..
Anyway, the heater in my '70 Charger RT has gone into frying mode. The heater turns on when the thermostat tells it to, but after that it will not shut off. The controls on the dash are useless, despite the fact that there is a new control switch behind it. The heater just will not shut off. Have any of you other B-body owners had this problem. Better yet, can anyone of you tell me how to fix it? C'mon I'm too skinny to be sweating off this much weight.
Old 06-13-2000, 04:25 AM
Inactive User

you said the switch was new but on my 66 its just a cable operated valve that opens and closes the water off. Water is always going to the heater core. If the cable isn't adjusted right it won't close the valve inside. If the lever connected to the valve and cable doesn't seem to have a positive open and close when moved then maybe the valve inside is broke off in the open position.
my .02
Old 06-14-2000, 04:52 AM
Inactive User

Jr, It sounds like your valve is vacumn operated. If so some trash may be holding the valve open. You may be able to take it apart and clean it like I did on my 71 or you may have to replace it. If it is cable operated make sure the cable is not slipping in the bracket. It still may have some trash binding it up and keeping it open. Hope this helps. Larry

----------------------
71 Charger 383
Old 07-01-2000, 04:04 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Thanks for your responses Larry and Mauve. My computer is down. Tell me though, where is the valve you guys mention? Are you talking about the thermostat?
Old 07-03-2000, 04:32 AM
Inactive User

JR, There should be a valve located on the passenger side inner fender back near the hood hinge and the fire wall. Follow the heater hoses. If all else fails take the heater hoses off the engine and make a loop with a short piece of hose and connect both fittings on the engine with it . That will remove the hot antifreeze from your heater. That will cool you off while you can fix it. Good Luck. Larry
------------------------
71 Charger 383