Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-16-2001, 09:59 AM
Inactive User

I'm thinking of building a crate motor for the IHRA Crate Motor class instead of Stock Eliminator. The crate motor will still be streetable!?! Well.....sort of. At least I can drive it to local shows without distroying valve springs and it will have somewhat of an idle!

Does anyone have one of these pre-magnum crate motors that can answer a few questions?

I have a few questions..

Should I build the 300 horsepower or the 360 horsepower engine?

They say in the Nov. 1992 High Performance Mopars that the heads are 360 swirl port heads Part no. P4529269. Are they the '308' truck castings.

They say the crate engine heads where equipped with 2.02 valves. Can I modify the stock '308' seats for the 2.02 valve are will I need to replace the seats before grinding for the larger valve?

This engine uses the MP 484 cam?

Does this engine like to rev? Where should I shift?

How much stall do you think I will need?

The car must run in the mid 12's to make the index. Should I run the 4.56 gear or 4.88? Probably 29 inch tire x 9inch

The car is a 1977 Aspen weighing 3500lbs.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I feel this engine is way cheaper to build than the stock eliminator engine or the Super Stock engine.

Jason
Old 03-16-2001, 10:32 AM

Default 360 Commando

Jason,
The 360/300hp Commando seems to be competitive against the index than the 360/360hp. But the 300hp has been "factored" to 305hp.

The engines originally cam with the "308" castings which are no longer made. But you might be able to find some in a salvage yard, get their new replacements in the catalog (don't have the # handy) or use ANY earlier 360 head that meets the IHRA blueprint specs.

Only the 360 hp version came with 2.02" intake valves.

The 360hp version had the .484" lift cam where the 300hp version had a .474".

Shift points depend on the cam. If EVERYTHING else is right-on, it should run at least the index. But to be faster, you need to get an experienced cam company to grind you a "Stock eliminator" profile which retains the stock lift, but has a lot more duration. Valve springs will need more seat and open pressure. Check with cam grinder.

Converter also depends on the cam profile. Check with company that builds stocker converters.

Gears and tires are about right. I have Phoenix 28.5"x10.5" with 4.89 gears. But I lost a little consistancy at "marginal" tracks when I changed from 4.56.

You will probably end up in J, K and/or L with the 300hp version. But you need to chech with IHRA or the NHRA classification guide to find out the published shipping weight of your car and divide that by the hp factor (305) to establish the "natural" class. Then add 170lbs for race-weight.

There is a late-'70's Volare with a 300hp Commando that I expect to be running in K in a few weeks at the Rockingham, NC Springnationals.

The crate motor classes are great and getting more popular. It might be a good idea to go to some divisional or national events to look around and ask some more questions.

It is cheaper than conventional Stock, but can still get expensive. Street driving with a real "Stocker" cam and typical high-stall converter wouldn't be a good idea. A more conventional/conservative set-up might allow you to and you MIGHT still be able to run under the index.

Myron
Old 03-16-2001, 10:56 AM
Inactive User

It sounds like the only bonus of the crate engine is that I can use the less expensive Keith Black Hyperutectic pistons over the JE..etc. Stocker replacement pistons listed in National Dragster. Those pistons are $1600 Can a set versus $500 for a set of Keith Black Pistons.

If I have to use a "stocker" cam I might as well spend the extra $1100 and build a Stock Eliminator engine. I was hoping that you had to use the stock cam lift and duration.

I'll have to use the 340 .474 338/348 cam I was going to use in my stocker motor. It's legal in J/SA so I guess I can use it in the 300/360 motor.

I was hoping for a combo that wouldn't be so radical as the stocker engine combo.

Also NHRA has a lot more events (divisional and national) that I would be able to compete in J/SA. I live 30 minutes from Grand Bend Motorplex which has the Mopar Parts IHRA Nationals but they don't run the crate motor cars. I could run Stock Eliminator there.

Now I don't know which way to go. I have stacks of info in the J/SA combo and IHRA has been a little helpful but doesn't give out all the info needed like NHRA.

HELP????????

Jason
Old 03-16-2001, 01:24 PM

Default 360 Commando

.....for a little good news!
KB 107 pistons are around $200 US if you shop around.

Crate motors ARE run at all IHRA national and divisional events, including Grand Bend, with all the other Stockers in one catagory.

At least I see now that you have a better idea about what class racing is all about. Aside from different engine specs, the same way you go about setting up a J/SA applies to crate motor Stock. The Volare I mentioned was also run previously as a J/SA. It is red and has "Dem Boyz" on the side.

The main reason I built a crate motor is because you have more options with carb., heads intake and pistons and I have run a Holley since I got into cars. I never cared to learn about Carters, especially TQ's.

Good luck!
Myron
Old 03-16-2001, 01:34 PM
Inactive User

I'm not much for the Thermoquad either. I'd probably run my 750 off the Big Block I have now.

If the engine came with a M-1 don't you have to run that intake?

Do you know what the ET Brake is for H/C/L Crate Motor.

I looked on the IHRA Site and Grand bend wasn't on the list for Crate Motor Competition in 2001.

Also...is IHRA like NHRA in that you have to run at least three divisional events before you can run a National Event? If so I still wouldn't be able to compete this June in Grand Bend until I ran the three divisional events. That would suck!! I would like to run with the big boys.

I'm still hung up on the 727/904 choice. I know the 904 in lighter and I can use a lock-up first gear in the old 904 case. But it's all a matter of $$$. Maybe I'll do that next year.

If I can sell my Big Block I'm going to start on the Crate Motor.

Would the stock MP 474 make the index you think? Just for now I mean...I'll stip in the stocker camshaft later.

Jason
Old 03-16-2001, 02:48 PM

You don't need any "grading" points to run IHRA divisional or national events. Just a membership and competition #.

904 is faster w/ low cost low gear available.

Crate motor is run WITH Stock, not seperate.

Indexes are in IHRA drag review or the website: www.ihra.com.

Gotta run,
Myron
Old 03-16-2001, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

mancini racing has a special for 340 360 motors 340 strocked to 416 and 360 to 408 you get new crank,diamond forged pistons,eagle H beam rods,speed pro rings and federal mogul bearings all for $1,550.00 i got one i believe this is a good deal
Old 03-19-2001, 10:31 AM

racing roadrunner,
....but it has to be a FACTORY available and approved crate engine built to spec for IHRA! Current or recent.