Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-17-2001, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

This is for real, but I'm sure to get some doubts. last summer I drove my `71 SportFury to Great lakes dragaway for a club get together. I only ran low 13's. very disappointing for this car. On the way home I stopped by a friends house and we looked at the timing and found it was off by 10 degrees...Oops. When we corrected that oversite, a big one I know, we took the car out for a 'test drive' that lasted till 3AM and used 3 tanks of gas and boost. Along the way we checked out several cruise spots, one being Photos. when we got there most of the crowd hadf left and only a few stragglers remained. We got out of the lot and headed towards River road and pulled up next to a 328i BMW rag top with some northshore kid driving. He hears my car and kind of smirks. Steve and I laugh when the BMW jumps at the green and I chase him down and pass him before the 1-2 shift. At the next light he won't even look over at us and quickly takes a left on to Lake-cook road.
Later, that same nite, we run into a shaft driven motorcycle at the corner of 137 and Waukegan. Nothing around and it's about 1:30am. I bring the revs up and the biker leans forward on his bars... When the light turns green we both punch it and... That biker is at least two lenghts in front of me, Steve is yelling 'stay in it, stay in it!' so I do, by the top of 2nd gear I've caught him! The biker starts to look back over his shoulder and sees this big black Fury next to him and moving, the 2-3 shift lets me start to pull away. At the next light, 41 and 137, the biker lifts his visor and screams " what the hell you got in that car?" We give him the old street racers reply, A pipe and a jet kit.

BTY the car ran 11.86@ 107 next outing at the track. I guess the timing really makes a difference, huh?

Anthony

Big Chicago
Old 03-20-2001, 11:14 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Way to go Furyous! One day I had to change distributors and my timing light was broke, so I guessed at the timing and it ran a 13.96 compared to a usual 12.4 to 12.5. It took me 2 more passes to get it right.
Timing is huge! I ran out and got a new light the next day.
Old 03-24-2001, 02:46 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Most Excellent ! Hope to see your car at Great Lakes Dragaway sometime. Drive safe............... and fast !