Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-17-2001, 06:47 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

I have a '89 Ford F150 4x4 pickup that has a 300/6 cyl.
engine. Somehow this damn thing froze up (YES I had good antifreeze in it) and now it has water in the oil and smokes like there is no tomorrow.
I pulled the cylinder head and it looks like #6 cylinder is the one that is getting wet. I suppected that the head gasket was the problem but it looks ok, I can't find any breaks in it that look like it blew out.
Does anyone have any idea about this thing?
Old 03-18-2001, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I got a great Idea,,, Roll it into a very large field,next begin using it a a very good form of stress relief!!!!!! SHEESH a FURD question on a MOPAR site,, YA just gotta wonder if the antifreeze fumes got to him!!!!
Old 03-18-2001, 07:58 AM
Inactive User

Question

Hey, Doc. R....I suggest you might want to have the head checked for cracks. Could be you have a crack in the combustion chamber that leaks water after you shut it off, and during the intake stroke. That might explain water in the oil, draining through the ring gaps while not running, and the smoking problem.
Old 03-18-2001, 09:41 AM
Inactive User

Question Hey, Big Red Machine-------

YOU did notice that this is in the OFF TOPIC FORUM
I wouldn't have the bad taste to post this in the main forums.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:17 AM
Banned

And it is waaaaayyyyy off alrighty!!!
I say burn it to the ground, no love for ford with me
I will bring the marshmellows!!!
Old 03-24-2001, 12:28 AM
Banned

buy a dodge ram, then tow your ford out into a field, and then run the ford over with the dodge ram
Old 03-24-2001, 07:28 AM
Inactive User

Yeah yeah yeah, easy to say.
I looked high and low for a Dodge before I ended up with this junker but If I could afford the Dodge I found It was SHOT and if it wasn't I couldn't afford it. There are hundreds more Fords around at much lower prices. People hang on to their Dodge trucks unless the get a preimum for them.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:07 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

While one can feel sorry for your decision about your Furd,I can not,,You see while I realize your pain of people not selling their DODGE's(who'd want to after all),reaserch will prove your shopping was either hasty or insufficent,,You see evry one has an excuse for buying a brand -x truck(don't feel lonley)but,rarely do you see anyone admit the mistake,,Yes I know this the OFF TOPIC forum Dr,but,you had to know that the blast was on as soon as you hit the submit key,,So I WILL offer the services of the Big Red Ride to tow you friggin' Furd junk out to pasture for the gang here to take swats at with a SLEDGE hammer ,then conduct a BBQ for charity ,cause we all sense your pain,,In a sense we can help,a donation for a hacking up a Furd and the BBQ also,so we can get you in a REAL TRUCK! So I agree with dubge,I'll do the burgers and dogs,somebody bring the refreshments,,THE BBQ IS ON!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2001, 07:15 AM
Inactive User

Angry

Well, now that the rest of you have succeeded in inflating your opinion of yourselves by bashing on Dr. Righteous, how about putting you narrow little minds together and offering a valid opinion to correcting his problem?? I suggest that it's better to use an off-brand as a daily driver/beater, and keep the Pentastars in good shape, than to wear out another one.
BTW.....I also own an '87 Ranger, V6, with 188,000 miles. It's not the vehicle that's bad.....it's the owner. If a vehicle dies prematurely....the owner probably didn't take very good care of it.
I'll just keep driving, at MY leisure, my '68 GT Dart.
Old 03-25-2001, 09:17 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Thanks GTS225

My gosh, you would think that I fell in love with a Mustang or something. (My Coronet eats 'em for lunch, what a blast!)

Now to respond to Big Red Machine; you are right. I did make the decision to quickly. In retrospect I should have slept on it. BUT at that time last year there were layoffs going on at my job. My MoPar wasn't ready for daily street duty and I drove a company car otherwise. I needed something and I needed it before I found myself in a bad spot. I needed a truck anyway and it had to be a 4x4. I wanted a Dodge BAD but I had no luck in my price range (under $3000 cash) I found this FORD while it was not what I wanted I felt I could fix the minor problems and it would be a pretty good truck. Well, I should have taken more time checking it out. It had much more than a few minor problems it has MAJOR problems. Like the syncros in the tranny being worn out (of course you don't notice until you have been driving it for a little while) and shot engine mounts (common on those) along with a laundry list of other things. But for $2800 at the time it was good enough.

My Next 4x4 truck will be a Dodge. In fact I have a 400 engine I intend to build to make a mean machine.

OH, BTW, the head was cracked on #6 cylinder along with it being alittle warped. The machine shop has it and I will pick it up this week.
Old 03-25-2001, 10:27 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Hey....Dr. R.....thanks for letting me/us know what the problem was. Not too bad a guess for a backyard shadetree mech, huh? :-D
Maybe the rest of the "bashers" will remember this when they have problems of a similar nature....and yes, it can happen to a Mopar, too.
Old 03-25-2001, 07:06 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Shadetree Mechanic raise your busted thumb

Heck, sometimes I suprise myself. My dad bought a '95 Ranger pickup 4 banger used. It ran ok but had absolutely no power. Everyone kept saying "its a 4 cylinder they don't have any power" but this thing couldn't hardly climb a hill. It also knocked badly when you accelerated (spark knock). I pondered the different symptoms and surmised that the last time the timing belt was changed it was put on with the cam mistimed.
Finally it was in the hands of a Ford dealership to get it fixed. The kept it for a week trying to figure out the problem and telling that 'The Machine' lied to them; they finally pulled it apart and found the cam timing was out.
I learn something new everyday. I just now am learning how to dial a carb in and though I have made a lot of improvements in the way the car performs I still have not got it right. There is still much to learn.
Old 03-25-2001, 07:54 PM
Banned

Well hey he was asking for help and he said he was abought to burn it to the ground so I DID offer to help(burn it)......glad to hear you got it fixed!!!!

I still think you should burn it!!!! HEHEHE!!!
Old 03-26-2001, 12:21 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Hey dubge,,Bring the marshmellows,,I'll bring the dogs and burgers,,Now if we can get some others to bring refreshments we are ready!!! The tow chain is READY as is the RED RIDE,,Dr needs to think of it as putting another Furd to its rest,,Basher gt says,WELL so be it,,In my book ALL BRAND -X vehicles get their deserved bashing(or a minor ride in reverse at full CTD throttle,,BOOST BABY and away the Furd or Chuvy goes),,So its CLOBBERING time then BBQ time,,ANYONE GAME???ON A QUIET NIGHT IN RURAL AMERICA YOU WILL HEAR THE ANGRY GROWL OF A RATTLING,STEROID FILLED DODGE CUMMINS AND THE TEARS FROM THE DISTRAUGHT FURD AND CHUVY OWNERS AS THEY WERE DESTROYED AGAIN!!!!!!!