Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-18-2001, 09:17 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have watched all the races so far this year. What in the world is wrong with Kyle?

Now every driver has bad luck, or a bad day, but Kyle is ALWAYS at the back of the pack, and NEVER in contention.

I wonder if he has lost his competitive spirit, because John Andretti's car looked good today.

With due respect for the Petty's, it might be time for a different driver.
Sterling looked good again though.

Mopar to Ya,
Old 03-18-2001, 09:23 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Kyle's heart...

Doesn't seem to be in driving anymore..
I bet if they didn't have the Sprint deal
this year, He would not be driving...
Old 03-18-2001, 11:14 PM

Unhappy

I can understand that of Kyle............
Old 03-19-2001, 02:20 AM
Inactive User

I would say to much on his mind. You got a race shop you have to run, a car you have to test and drive, and add into that everyday tasks. It's just a bit much.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:18 AM
ram1500

Kyle Petty is washed up, a has-been. He should join DW in the broadcast booth if he can't drive no better than he his!
Old 03-19-2001, 08:40 AM
Inactive User

I've been watching and going to stock car races since Lee Petty was driving. Kyle simply doesn't have that "Eye of the tiger" in competition. He really never did. I remember the big noise when Kyle first went up to cup cars. "Kyle will carry the Petty banner in victory lane". He just didn't do it.
The loss of his son had to have taken it toll on him, too.
I think it might be time for Kyle to move over and let someone with the lust for competition drive. Some one who isn't carrying so much baggage.
He seems to be an excellent manager, and a great spokesman, and probably a good PR man. He's just not a Winston Cup caliber driver. I think he knows that, too.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

I dont think Kyle's heart is into it, he must have alot of emoitions every time he gets into that # 45, thats the same number,same sponser it looks too much like the Chevy his son drove.I dont see him racing too much longer like Frankendart72 said he seems to be a good manager/or car owner, the Petty's should have someone else drive the #45 that or change the number, you dont see Dale jr. driving his fathers number cause it would be too painful mentaly.. though it would be nice to see Kyle get the top 5 at least
Old 03-21-2001, 02:30 AM
Inactive User

I agree with the thoughts on Kyle Petty. However I'm also pretty dissapointed in Bill Elliot . He seems to have lost his nerve too. Bet Evernham is wondering what is going on with him too??!!
Old 03-21-2001, 08:34 AM
Inactive User

Just remember the saying, "There are old drivers and bold drivers, but there are no old, bold drivers". The longer I stay in this business the more I find that true. Especially true after being hurt really bad as DW, Rusty, Bill and Mark Martin have been. They are financially secure, don't worry about the next meal, etc. and are gradually becoming steering wheel holders not racers.

I know many will be furious at those remarks but its true, especially in Nascar Winston Cup. The money won on the race track is only a small fraction of their total income. And being in the top ranks of Winston Cup racing is sorta like living inside the beltway in Washington, you lose sight of the real things in life. That's why you will see more lesser knowns, rookies, etc. winning in the Cup ranks. Sure, Rusty, Dale, Terry and maybe Bill will win again but it will be because of experience and having a truly superior car, not because of aggression. Put Kyle in that category if you want to.

The one that will be interesting to watch will be Sterling. He has been around a long time, but is not as financially secure, etc. I bet if he is racing for the lead on the last lap, he won't hesitate putting the chrome horn on someone.

Gotta go, gotta get into my bomb shelter before all of you begin lobing bombs my way.
Old 03-21-2001, 08:37 AM
Inactive User

I agree, Evernham has to be having second thoughts about Bill. He had a few good years, but hasn't been competitive for a long time. He knows how to win, he's proven that. I wonder if he was shaken by the wreck he had a few years back. He was injured pretty badly.
I think if we're going to see a Dodge win this year, is going to be Sterling Marlin. That whole team seems to have their "stuff" together. Good pit stops, good equipment, and Sterling. HE really wants to win!
Evernham might do a favor for himself, Dodge, and the Dodge fans, by taking over as crew chief himself for a few races. We all saw what he did for Jeff Gordon, and what happened to Jeff when Ray left. He might want to try hiring the pit crew away from Jarrett (the old Rainbow Warriors). There is no doubt they are the BEST pit crew right now. Also Sterling Marlins crew is DAMN GOOD.
Evernhams equipment should be second to none. He knows how to build a strong race car and engine. The key would be to give it to someone who can, and really wants to put it in Victory Lane.
Old 03-21-2001, 08:52 AM
Inactive User

Hey guys, I didn't mean to get off the Kyle thing, but rodsvolare mentioned Bill and Evernham and I could resist.