Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-26-1999, 07:07 AM
Inactive User

THE MOTORPLATES I'M USING (COMP ENG #4008), INTERFERE WITH STOCK MECH. FUEL PUMP. I'LL PROBABLY GO ELEC, BUT NOT SURE WHAT TO USE, AND WILL I NEED A REGULATER, AND WHAT DO I SET IT AT? THE DUSTER NOW HAS A COMPLETE REAR END INSTALLED, FRAME CONNECTORS, TRANS IS HANGING, AND MOTOR IS DEGREASED AND READY FOR COLOR. I WILL PROBABLY PUT IN 7-26 TO MOCK UP MOTORPLATE BRACKETS, AND START TO CUT FOR FENDERWELL HEADERS. I JUST MIGHT GET IN A PASS OR TWO THIS SEASON.
Old 07-26-1999, 03:15 PM
Inactive User

It shouldn't sacrifice any strengh if you would notch the motor plate for fuel pump. We hand made a 1/4 inch aluminum plate for my Dad's small block Duster and it had several notches for accesories and stuff.

Although there's nothing wrong with a good Holley blue with an external regulator set at about 6-9 psi. One drawback with Holley blue's is that they are a little loud for the street though - mine are louder than my SuperTrapps!!

[This message has been edited by The Dartman (edited July 26, 1999).]
Old 07-27-1999, 12:11 AM
Inactive User

Thats true about the blue pump noise. I honestly can hear this thing at 3000rpm with flowmasters on. I hate the sound but love the performance. One disadvantage is that the blue pump must be gravity fed so the tank must have a sump. I just bought a triangle engineering aluminum fuel cell and fram giant filter. I welded a plate over the spare tire well and mounted the tank there, then put the pump and filter under it. Works out very well and makes a great install, but the noise sux for street use.
Old 07-27-1999, 02:22 AM
Inactive User

I too,use the Holley "blue" pump with regulator.However as far as noise goes,my Dart is a open header race car,so the noise is ok with me(I hit the pump before starting to make sure it's on)Now on the Road Runner I had the blue Holley pump also,but I lessened the noise alot by using some rubber mounting bushings I got from Radio Shack.I didn't have any problems with the pump and the stock Road Runner tank, I had the pump mounted above on the upper shock mount and I used the factory pickup also.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited July 26, 1999).]
Old 07-27-1999, 02:46 PM
Inactive User

My Blue is mounted on rubber bushings as well, but it is mouted in the passenger side wheel well. I too don't have any problems with my stock pickup unit. But I've heard Holley red pumps really need to be gracity fed and may have trouble with these stock pickups. The only drawback with my setup is that the car still has the original 5/16 fuel lines, which I don't really think is slower the car down anyway.