Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-21-2001, 01:09 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Well tomorrow makes 1 month and about 1 week according to my figuring, since I dropped my block and crank off at the machine shop to be checked for cracks and then have the block aligned honed and the crank turned if needed. I even made sure that both parts were white glove clean before dropping them off.

I called the guy before taking the parts over and his words were, "sure bring over we will get on it "

I have called the guy twice since I dropped it off, both times its clear that he has not even taken a look at the crank or block.

I will call the guy tomorow if he has no words of serious progress, then I will be picking the stuff up right away and taking somewhere else.

I have used this shop (dont want to mention name just yet) before with good results on some small stuff. I paid in cash upon pickup no questions asked each time I have picked up work, saying all the right things, (please thanks, etc.).

I guess I am too nice.

anyone have this trouble before ?

Also anyone no any decent machine shops that can check a block for cracks, and align hone a block, plus check a crank for cracks in the Detroit MI area or within resonable driving distance ? LOL
Old 03-21-2001, 07:20 PM

Thumbs up machine shops

try muscle motors in lansing I'm shure you'll be happy
Old 03-21-2001, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

Angry oh man!!!

i thought i was the only one that ,that happens too,lol.i blew my 440 first race last year and was told to bring it to this guy who knows mopar,builds drag street cars.to make a long story short i waited 8 months, two weeks after season ended it was done,couldnt get mad because never thought it would get done if you know what i mean.your not the only one.granted the motor is a powerhouse i feel i was pushed aside for the guys who had $10,000.00 plus motors being done.point of story- go somewhere else.i make all my customers feel like there the only one i got ,and have a give and take relationship w/ them,first come first serve,right. my opinion.good luck
Old 03-22-2001, 03:46 AM
Inactive User

My experience has been, if you let the guy know up front that your not in a big hurry ( oh no I don't need it right away, thinking the guy's with big bucks will say that) he will usually price accordingly. You need to let the machinest know up front what time frame you expect from him. I once had a set of heads sit at a machine shop for over 3 months, I got them back the day before the biggest race of the season, ran into some problems and missed it all together, the only consequence I had was that I did not pre-register. Needless to say I am hesitant about using him ever again, only problem is he is the best around here!
Old 03-22-2001, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

Well what do you know I went buy to pick the stuff up and they were able to get to it right away, funny how that works.

The news on my block and crank is not good either. The crank is cracked ( so its junk )

The block is ok (not cracked ) however the #5 main cap is cracked and the machine has tried two different #5 main caps from other 360's and neither could be machined to save the block.

The plan was to replace the #5 main cap with another stock cap, line hone the block replce the crank and go back to racing but know that does not seem to be an option.

I have checked with Diamond and Milodon, and they either dont make a #5 main cap or dont make caps for 360's.

Oh well there always fishing I guess.

LOL
Old 03-22-2001, 08:10 PM

Wink Get with the Pro-Gram

A company called Pro-Gram sells main caps for the #5 main. I think the price is around $250. You might want to also look into purchasing/prepping an additional block. You will probably be better off with a new crank that mother Mopar is selling, a high perf cast version of the stock crank. The frequent losses of traction associated with dirt track racing seem to kill the stock 360 cranks quite easily.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:56 AM
Inactive User

Default main cap #5

Thanks for the advice 340 king.

I did talk to Bill (Ram Racing) he let me know that Pro Gram ( Pro Gram Engineering is that right I dont have a way to contact them?) could make me a new #5 main cap if I sent them a sample to go buy, for around the price you quoted. He says they dont make a number 5 cap but that they could.

I am thinking it over, (no hurry now) the block that I was trying to save has a lot of time and money in it modifying the oil system, so starting over will be costly but thats racing.

The motor was externally balanced and I am sure that contributed to the cranks failure.

My hope is that someday EAgle or one of the other crank shops will start making a forged crank for the 360 at down to earth price.

Prepping another block and getting another crank will probably be the only way.

Machine shop man did say to bring in more stock #5 caps, he seems to think that there is a chance that we may find a stock one that has enough material to make the line hone deal work.

My guess is this is a big if. I have two more 360 cores and I will take the #5's off them and take them to him to measure just for fun. BUt I am doubtfull

Thanks !

I do have a tired old 318 with flat tops so all is not lost .
lol