Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-24-2001, 01:27 AM
Big Tuna

Unhappy

I got my new issue of 'Mopar Performance News' yesterday and the cover promised a photo of the new Neon. Well, kinda. It has one drawing of a Neon, and it looks pretty much like a Neon. No info on when they would be out though.
Old 03-24-2001, 10:47 AM
Mopars win..others whine

I was at Houston Raceway yesterday and got Darrell and Mark to sign the pictures I took during the pro stock super bowl. I was invited inside the hauler to get them. I was in such awe just being inside the hauler that I did not know what to ask. I stumbled around with my mouth and probably asked stupid questions, but the one I did not ask was when did they expect to start racing the Neons. Stupid me. I did get to see that 331 mph pass that Dunn put down, man what a run!!
Old 03-24-2001, 11:12 AM
Big Tuna

Wink been there!

I know what you mean, Hoov. It has happened to me too. You think you know just exactly what you want to ask and then babble like a baby. I'm sure they are used to it.
NHRA.com says that Dunn's 331 is under suspicion because Dixon was in the other lane and beat him to the end and got not time. They think the clocks possibly malfunctioned. However, they said IF he can run over 328 this weekend, the 331 will stand as the new record. I personally think the 331 was real, those guys build some BIG horsepower.
Old 03-24-2001, 11:25 AM
Mopars win..others whine

I was wandering why the time even though he got beat by over a full length. I thought that the clock broke because it could not count that high!! Dunn's time showed but the other clock was blank. It took 15 minutes to get them back going. It happened again in the second round qualifying of the trucks.
Old 03-24-2001, 09:03 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Lets see here ,,Now if my memory serves me correctly they(MOPAR) tried this short wheelbase P/S crap once before,,ANYONE remember the wonderfull debut of the Colt P/S cars?,,Lets see now one rolled at the top end ,one flipped on the starting line and one is still alive (now in NJ and doing the tour stuff)anyway, point here is why bother,,I realize their trying this race Sunday sell Monday stuff,but,do we not all think the newly designed STRATUS R/T is a better canidate for these wars?Whats next NEON floppers Give me a break!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2001, 12:06 AM
Big Tuna

Wink

The Neons as well as the Cavaliers, Grand Am's and the new Cougars (if any of them show up) are all being stretched to 110" wheelbase. NHRA is trying to go to almost a "spec" body. All the new bodies are now carbon fiber and I read where they are all inspected and serial numbered, supposedly to keep them from being modified.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:03 PM
Inactive User

Just for the record, the stock Neon wheelbase is longer than the stock Avenger.

I'm glad to see Neons in PS, but it's ironic that they are running coupes and Dodge doesn't even make a 2-door Neon and has cancelled plans to do so. So much for win on Sunday, sell on Monday!
Old 03-26-2001, 12:06 AM
Inactive User

Red face

Lets see here now,Neons at 110 inches and P/S Avengers,,Huh,,Seems I got lost in the time warp at Gainsville a couple weeks ago(or got got waterlogged),but,in the P/S pits they were calling the cars all Dodge R/T's(as for Stratus R/T ,a direct quote from Morgan himself),,Since the Avengers were dropped from product line the were retro fitted with new panels and are not Avengers at all(realizing here it still is a play on the word game),,Now seems that NHRA is taking a approach like TRASHCAR in that we all know The Neon line is not 110 in and like the Intrepid roundy rounder 2 door DO NOT EXSIST,,So why screw with the public or do you feel that they do think race Sunday,sell monday is still worthy,,I myself do not,,Spec bodies and Aero crying seems like the same CRAP that caused MOPAR out of some forms of auto racing a little while ago,,Thing that fries my rear is the ones paying for their stupidity is the Sportsman racers in the country,,meaning withh all their money into TRASHCAR and the P/S and P/S truck crap we ARE getting left out of the Mopar help area,,So is it me or does this crap seem like a McMahon WWF script??,,Shame of it all is us die hard Mopar sportsman racers are the STILL supporting the cause and WILL not get any help from them cause they feel WE do NOT fill the STANDS!!!Makes me want to puke,,The pure love of my car on the bars, nose HIGH in the air WILL ALWAYS drive me to go though(Wife tells me its too much VP fuel fumes on the brain),,Racing has always been about PERFORMANCE ,do you not think its about time we get back to it,without spec cars and false bodies???? LETS LET THE BUILDERS AND ENGINEERS DO THEIR WORK,AND LET HP DECIDE THE GAME,WIN OR LOSE THATS ALL!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2001, 01:04 AM
Big Tuna

Unhappy factory help?

Big Red, I have to agree with you on your point that Stock/ SS are the coolest race cars going, but I really wonder why you think that P/S Trucks all get factory help. I have a friend who races a truck out of his own pocket and out of the 300K or so he's put into the operation, Ma Mope has provided 1 bare unmachined block, 1 cam blank, 2 sets of raw W-8 heads, 1 set raw P-5 heads, and 1 set of valve covers. Not exactly filling up his pockets are they?