Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-26-2001, 04:30 AM
Inactive User

I've got a 93 ram with the cummins/5spd manual/ 3.54 gears/ 4wheel drive dually. The only thing that I've have really seen is turning up the fuel and putting on the smaller turbo housing. I have turned up the fuel and have noticed quite an improvement in power, but it smokes a bunch more and of course the mileage is down. Has anybody put the smaller housing on really noticed a power increase from that alone? The truck has a straight pipe, with no muffler or cat. Has an awsome BIG truck sound. The original muffler rotted off , so I just replaced it with a straight pipe. Cheap! My problem is I tow a 28ft. enclosed trailer with car and tools. When you go up a hill the thing slows so much. It is better since the fuel has been turned up but , I'm not satisfied. I'm the type of person to never leave anything alone ,so let me know what I can do to crank some power out of this thing. I'm tired of the powercrokes and bowties passing me on the hills. They just look at me waving as they go past. A true mopar fan in need!
Old 03-26-2001, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

Default Exhaust

When you replaced the muffler with the straight pipe, you diddnt replace the most restrictive part of the system. Look at the bends in the pipe that go around the transfer case. I bought a Banks exhaust system for mine and it is all mandrel bent, a lot quieter than a straight pipe and it picked up 2mpg. what a deal!
Old 03-26-2001, 10:26 PM

don't no alot about diesel's but I no that all engines gas or diesel need to have a certain amount of back presure on the exhaust side by running a staight pipe exhaust system with no muffler you have no back presure to help in the TQ department the muffler helps in that area also if I was you I would swap out the rear gears for a set of 4:10 I have a 93 Ram 4X4 ext cab dually with a 360 gas motor and automatic trans with 4:10 gears and pull a 24ft trailer with a car in it about 7,000 lbs the truck pulls the weight real nice even up hill
Old 03-26-2001, 10:36 PM
Inactive User

Default 4.10

I would strongly reccomend against the 4.10 swap because my truck with 3.54s will do only 90 at absolute max. If I am pulling it has a hard time doing 85 and is only not sweating when doing 75. You have to remember that a CTD can only do 2800rpm at the most.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:47 PM

who in their right mind wants to pull a 24ft trailer or a 28ft trailer 85 and 90 miles an hour I drive a 2000 Ford F450 wrecker for a living I no it's not a Dodge but the boss bought it it has a 7.3 Turbo with a six speed and 4:10 gears granted it won't do past 85 mph but with the 4:10 gears it's got the power to pass if need be or go up hill with out down shifting
Old 03-27-2001, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

Johnnie:

I owned a 92' Dodge CTD before buying my 96'.
I changed out my turbocharger housing and went
to the 16cm housing and can tell you that it made
a BIG DIFFERENCE in the power and throttle response
especially when towing!

You can also buy or send your pump to one of
several companies to have them "upgrade" the
pump for you. Three of the ones I would recommend
are listed below:

1.) Scheid Diesel
Terre Haute, Indiana
Phone #: 1-800-669-1593
Ask for "J.P. Pezan or Dan Scheid

2.) BD Diesel Performance
Sumas, Washington/Abbotsford, B.C.
1-800-887-5030
Ask for Piers Harry

3.) Diesel Dynamics
Las Vegas, Nevada
1-800-628-8111
Ask for Keith

Also check the "Turbo Diesel Website" at
www.turbodieselregister.com
Go to the "Discussion Forms" area and
look under "First Generation Trucks."
There is a wealth of information for you
to look at for power upgrades etc. on your
type Dodge Cummins Truck.

Good Luck!

-----------
John_P
Old 03-27-2001, 03:49 AM
Inactive User

As far as towing going 85 or 90mph , I can only go 85 Max maybe 90 downhill unloaded. It would just be nice to have the power to stay the same speed going up a hill. I don't think it would be a good Idea for me to swap in the 4:10 gears either, I want to be able to do the speed limit. I'm sure it would affect my mileage too. I might go ahead with the 16cm housing, but wouldn't it heat up faster since it is smaller?? And as far as the exhaust is concerned, I always thought the less backpressure on a diesel the cooler the exhaust and better the performance. I haven't noticed a performance decrease by installing the straight pipe. As far as the noise issue is concerned, I would like to make it even louder. I love NOISE! Nothing like blowing a big loud cloud of black smoke in the yuppies car behind you, hahahaha!!!I get great joy watching them choke on the fumes and waving there hands while rolling up the windows. =)
Old 04-02-2001, 10:19 PM

Biggrin

My '93 D-350 ClubCab LE Cummins 5-speed 2wd does pretty well, considering the only mods have been the following: A BIG glasspack, fuel adjustment, K&N filter, and Amsoil synthetic lubricants in the eng/trans/rear. I'm running 235-85R16 10-ply Bridgestones, 3.55 gears, and a stock turbo. I sell utility trailers, car haulers, and the like, so I regularly pull two stacks of five trailers at a time, so figure 10x1,500# each=15K# plus the truck at 6,890# with me and a full tank. There is one long 6%incline that I pull at 72mph with all this weight with an essentially stock truck. This truck has 189K miles. Around town, it's getting 16.5, highway 20, pulling 10-15K, about 14. I have been considering a Banks complete turbo + exhaust, because a serious boost in power would be nice! Can't bitch too much for 165 horse! However, my wife's '96 D-3500 Club Cab is like driving a Viper compared to my '93, and is a much more civilized truck to drive. Plus, it'll do 105! My '93 will only do about 92 empty!