Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-26-2001, 11:02 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Hi folks. I just bought a 71 Challenger R/T, 383 Magnum, 3.55, 4-speed. Matching Numbers, color - Hemi Orange. Engine has 1000 miles on rebuild. I have several questions. First, The intake manifold is an Edelbrock, but I'm not sure what type, the only numbers I can find on it is DP4B. Second, The ignition is stock points, has anyone tried the Pertronix plate setup in the stock distributors? I was wondering if this would work well with an MSD box? Also, this engine has as best as I can tell stock heads with heavier springs due to the addition of a .509 Purpleshaft cam. Carb is 750 Holley. The engine seems to be on the rich side at idle. Will the electronic ignition improve the rich condition? Thanks for helping, you folks provide good info.
Old 03-26-2001, 12:02 PM
Inactive User

Question

Congrads on the new purchase! I have a '71 Challenger R/T 383 Magnum in In-Violet/White and using the .484 Purpleshaft. Don't you just love the chuf-chuf sound from those exhaust tips with the rumpity idle?

My opinion, it is hard to beat the Mopar electronic upgrade kit and will help cold starts and high RPM. Since you probably require a rev limiter, have you considered the Crane multi-spark box? What advantage does the Pertronix give you over the stock setup?

I am curious, How much was the asking price and why do you feel the car is worth what you paid?
Old 03-26-2001, 01:51 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks, Rictek. The Pertronix plate appears to be a stator plate that replaces the stock plate in the distributor. The new plate contains the pickup assy. It also has a reluctor that mounts on the distributor shaft. The advantage over stock would now be no points. However the assy. is still only going to apply +12v to the primary side of the coil, hence the reason for the MSD box. I was thinking that the MSD box would be better than the MOPAR electronic conversion because of the multiple spark discharges. Would this burn the fuel mixture more completely? The price on the car was $15k. This car has always been in NC , so very little rust. The interior is in excellent shape also. It was worth it to me because I love MOPAR's, and it is a matching numbers car.
Old 03-26-2001, 04:48 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Orange crush;

Good luck with your new purchase there.
The MSD works by itself. Not with the pertonix. I have not used the pertonix myself. The MSD can be mounted under the battery tray for a clean stealthy look.
It will help with the rich condition, but, the carb may need a tune more than the ignition upgrade. If its O.K. after being warmed up, then the jetting is probly O.K. It should be rich on warm up. If its WAY rich, adjust the choke setting on it. Do both ethier way.
The intake question you allready answered yourself. The model is DP4B. (Dual Plane 4 BBL. )
Old 03-26-2001, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

Welcome to our forum!! Personally,I think the 292 is a bit too big for his combo,and the 284/484 or even my favorite,the 280/480 would be a better choice,but you may no want to do that as you just bought the car.As already mentioned,the carb and distributor needs a bit of tuning.The Mopar ignition setup is fine,I use it in my race cars and it's always performed great.I'd set the timing to 38 degrees total at 2000 rpm.Or use the MSD box with the point dist.(the points act as the trigger and wont wear out) and set the timing the same way.750... probably needs jetting,shooter,and power valve tuning.I'd start with 75 pri/76 sec jetting, 6.5 power valve,and a #31 shooter,then adjust from there.
Old 03-26-2001, 11:50 PM
Inactive User

did you by any chance buy this car from Martin Packer?
Old 03-27-2001, 01:20 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Christopher, he doesn't need a smaller cam, he needs bigger intakes/headers! Don't ruin the new guy, huh?
Old 03-27-2001, 01:29 AM
Heavy Member

Cool

An interesting tid bit of information regarding the Edelbrock DP4B.

Even though it is as Rumblefish360 says, a "Dual Plane 4 BBL" the DP does not stand for Dual Plane. The DP actually stands for Dodge Plymouth. The manifold is a 4B which was the precursor to the performer.

The B4B was for a Buick, a P4B was for a Pontiac, and an O4B was for a........you get the picture. :-)
Old 03-27-2001, 09:27 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

I Stand..er i mean, Sit corrected (at my computer) But then again, this is what I was told. It was to easy right? Like shooting (R)fish in a bbl.
Very interesting there WS23....Thanks!
Old 03-27-2001, 10:22 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of the info guys. Hey Wundas, I purchased the car here in NC from a guy Lloyd Price. He has several nice cars for sale, like a 69 Hemi Charger R/T, 69 Superbee 440 six-pack, 71 Challenger R/T convertible - 440., 69 Charger 500 - 383, 66 Charger - 440., The Hemi Charger is going for $44,500. If anyone is interested in any of these cars, the # is (919) - 821-0952.