Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-13-2000, 04:23 AM

Question

Hi all,

Got a question, does anybody know if a hurst shifter(quarter stick for example) will correctly operate an old style torqueflite? i don't have a service manual for the old TF, just the new one, and i don't know if the shift lever positioning is the same.

Thanks for any info,

Pat
Old 07-13-2000, 05:27 AM

I dont know how old you are talking about, but my 67 904 seems not to like the Hurst pro stick 2 detents. I cant get 1st and neutral to coexist on the same adjustment. For example, I cant get it into 1st if neutral is adjusted correctly, likewise, I cant get neutral to engage unless I lift up and forward a tad when 1st is correct (this sucks because it is a ratchet, and a pain to cycle through the gears quickly) Im sure it is just the wrong selector lever,I hear they come with 2. As for the old rod type TQ's, good luck.
Old 07-14-2000, 10:18 AM
Inactive User

I tried using the Hurst V-Matic 2 on my BB w/header Challenger. But I kept melting shifter cable. I fianally got a Turbo-Action($$)CheetahSCS-problem solved! They are also a breeze to use. They(at Turbo-Action) are also very helpful with info you need.ph.#(904)741-4850

------------------

Old 07-14-2000, 04:12 PM

thanks for the info.... i called turbo action and they said it wouldn't work -- 66 and newer trans only. what i mean by old TF is the one that was standard before they came out with the 727. the vintage of mine is 60 and is in my desoto.
Old 07-15-2000, 04:07 AM
Moderate anarchist

Do you mean the two speed Powerflite? cause if it's a 3 speed auto it's a 727. However, in 66 they stopped using the pushbutton style shifter, which used cabling and not a linkage, which is what they mean by nwer style.

Steve
Old 07-15-2000, 09:49 PM

At one time B&M made a shifter for use on the cable operated 727 TFs. They may still have them or you might find one at a swap meet. Other than that the only solution would be to change to a later (66 up) trans and use an aftermarket shifter.
Why change - I have a 65 727 TF (with 1971 internal parts) with the Pushbuttons installed in my 68RR and have for 30 years. Its simple and works every time - unlike some of the aftermarket floor shifters.
Old 07-20-2000, 06:14 AM

Lightbulb

Ok, hold on-- now im confused. Steve, the trans is a 3 speed auto (Drive, 2nd and 1st buttons), so I know it's not the PowerFlite. Are you trying to tell me I've got a "727"? I didn't that that came out until later. I guess the more important question is will parts listed for a "727" work in this thing-- manual valve bodies, shifters, internals, kickdowns? I'm asking this because I found a part that would make my life easier. It's a kickdown cable from Bouchillon Performance. Here is the link:
http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/TKCK.htm

With this thing and a new style cable throttle pedal assy (Summit) I wouldn't have to go through the headache of modifying the existing linkage(s).

The Bouchillon page says '62 and newer TFs so I'm not sure if it would work with mine. I've been under the car several times, but never really noticed if the trans is cable or linkage actuated. I'll check tomorrow and let you know what I find.

At this point I wanna drive this thing so bad I wouldn't care if I had a hamster runnin' in a wheel down there shiftin' them gears!

Pat

[This message has been edited by azazello (edited July 20, 2000).]
Old 07-20-2000, 06:19 PM

When under the car, check and see if a cable is going into the front part of the valve body, this will be the linkage cable on a cable operated 727/904. If it had a lever coming out of the top rear of the valve body,not to be confused with the kickdown lever, its a new 727/904. I had to change my '65 ball and trunion cable operated trans to a newer model when I went to a floor mounted shifter.