Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-29-2001, 12:08 AM
Inactive User

Cool

I just got finished reading the "mopar muscle "article on the smog 360. they are going to put it in a 5th ave as well! I do believe that I thought of it FIRST!!!! I just may be a little slower on the execution of the swap.
I learned something quite valuable today.
Please understand that I wasted many years basking in the realm of GM fuel injection, but not as a total loss!
If a person was building a mopar 360 and wanted a whole lot of compression...... buy a set of 8.5-9.5 to 1 comp. Chevy 350 pistons. why....... cause they are cheap!!!we all know that mopar parts are expensive, so I have somewhat of a solution.
The Chevy pistons have a higher compression height @ .080" higher, so a person can achieve a "0" deck height, or even a "negative" deck height if he/she has the pistons turned down in a lathe. also the GM pistons have a smaller wrist pin dia. so have them honed out to the mighty Chrysler specs. now I'm not sure if all this is "cost effective" but I have access to a lathe in my hanger (Learjet mech) so I can cut the slugs down myself.
I know I should be taken out back and beat about the head and neck with a blunt object (small block con rod will do) for suggesting such blastfamy, but if you want mondo compression on a budget this is a great way to do it.
so I am going for a -.020" deck height or 11.5 to 1 comp ratio. where I work,we sell 100 octane avgas for $1.60 a gallon (employee discount, sorry) so I should have no trouble with detonation (I hope)
I am also a sheetmetal guru so installing a clutch for the A-833 4sp should be a breeze.
if it works, I will definitely share ALL my knowledge to my fellow mopar maniacs.
look for it running 13s at the 2002 nats in Columbus!!
any thoughts?
Old 03-29-2001, 10:53 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Question

Don't worry, I wont beat ya with a rod, LOL. It makes good sense if you can make it work. I just wonder how far you can make the pistons work in a different stroke envioment.
Now, I'm no machinest! But, diff. slugs for diff. strokes right. If you cut the slugs down to size to keep in the hole, can the chevy slugs be machined to to work with the new stroke without long life problems?
I under stand that its all in matching the chevy piston to the mopar piston in its diamentions as close as possible.
What about the stroke diff. ?

Do you machine the piston down low on the skirt as well? The Chevy 350 stroke of 3.48 is a little short next to the 360's stroke of 3.58. Is the .10 diff. not that bad or is a little more cutting needed than what I'm asking about?
Also, what about the rod diff.
The 6" rod from Chevy is a full .123 shorter than the S/B mopar rod. What problems does this create? And, what is the soulution? (ouch-sp)
I like the idea of useing a cheaper piston. I just dont know how to make them work. I would love to screw around, but, money is the issue. Tooooo bad its not like match box cars. Break'em and say all well. Go to the toy store and get another. That would be great if it were like that though!!
Also, any knowlage on a possible swap of pistons from the Chevy 383 stroker to the MoPar stroker cranks?
The Chevy stroke of 3.75 is right in the middle of the stroker s from mopar. those being 3.71 & 3.79.
Any thought on making those fit?
Just thinking out loud......
Old 03-29-2001, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Ok, so conversing in more detail ($$$$) with my machine shop guy, it would not be cost effective to do this hair-brained idea after all. The big problem we found, and one that RUMBLEFISH360 brought up, is the skirts on the bottom of the piston. Contact withe the crank is a problem. So I guess if it was all that easy everyone would do it huh?
Rumblefish360, I have no knowledge about the 350 stroker pistons with the MoPar stroker crank. nothing is beyond the realm of possibilities. I'm quite sure that gm stroker pistons are way cheaper than Mopar stroker pistons, so the same treatment with a very close look at the skirts on the pistons could be a possibility. I personally never built or ran a Chevy stroker motor. Sorry I cant help you out there Rumblefish360, but maybe you could pick the brains of your local machine shop guru's like I did. Best of luck.
The only advantage to having all the extra machine work done to GM pistons, that I can can see, is getting a "zero" or "negative" deck height for massive compression. don't get me wrong yall, it can work.but I would rather spend the money on new pistons engineered for MY bores and shave the heads for high comp. I'll get off my soapbox now. Jim.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:19 PM
Inactive User

Good luck with your 5th ave buildup. I dropped a 400 in one 3 years ago. It seemed like the right thing to do.
Its a pretty heavy car so you'll need to make some good power for 13's. I didn't make it to the track with mine.
All I know is the guys at work with supposedly fast brand X junk wouldn't race it. They said they would win but couldn't take the chance of losing. I was telling them it was the motor out of my Volare RR. I guess the picture on my toolbox of the car at the track with trophy and 13.20 dial in was too much for them . It was true but I took the cam, heads, intake, carb, converter and gear out of the combo. It was just as fast as my friends 99 Dakota with 318 5speed. It was a mid 15 at best with the 2.73 9 1/4 rear.