Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:03 PM

The fender tag on my '74 Swinger says that the timing is to be set at TDC at idle, which seems pretty low to me; I am thinking this is probably for emissions reasons. I currently have it set at 2 degrees but feel it should be more... Does anybody have any advice on what initial advance to run on an otherwise stock '74 318? I don't have to worry about emissions testing so would be doing this for more power. Also I am considering re-curving the distributor in the near future if that will net a big HP improvement, any reccomendations for that? It starts instantly right now and runs great but isn't very quick of course. It's no big deal since my girlfriend is driving it but any simple tricks to improve power (in addition to ignition timing) would be appreciated. Thanx!
Old 03-30-2001, 09:13 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

If it starts instantly, at the trip of the key, your at pay dirt. If you advance more, or I should say if you advance it to much, it will sound like its sayin, runt, runt, runt, and turn fast for a second then stop, then turn fast, then stop.
Thats to far. Mark it down where its at now. Drop in quick adv, spring for the recurve, and your set.
As far as a big HP gain, well, every little bit will add up. Its not huge by any means. But if its running tops, there shouldnt be any complaint.
Just make sure everything else is up to snuff. EX: good plugs, wires, correct gap, good cap & rotor, very clean carb set right....
These things will get you the hidden HP that is otherwise overlooked.
The eng, my only be 230hp, but if its not running right, then your lossing 30hp because its all out of wack. And that you'll notice. Mostly, when you get it back from tunning it up!