Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-31-2001, 03:32 AM
Inactive User

If you clicked here you were probably hoping I figured out a way to adapt the two ,but I haven't . I know there are some very intelligent people on here so , Help me and everybody else out there with this problem. If you could figure out a way to fix this common problem, You could make a bunch of money. I have about 10 linkage type trannys and 0 cable shift. I really don't feel like searching for one either, not to mention if I will have any problems with convertor selection. Just don't like the idea of putting an aftermarket shifter on the floor of my car. It looks kinda funny with a bench seat. I guess as a last resort , I may have to go searching for a trans, but I really want the slip spline. I understand that you would have to find a 65 only trans to get this option. So if any of you may have converted one to work , please let me know. I might try myself, but I'm sure there will be a lot of trial and error. Gonna have to get a pile of cables and brackets and god knows what else.
Old 04-01-2001, 01:09 AM
Inactive User

I can't help you on the linkage problem, I don't think they can be made to match up, but on your other two objections to the old cable shift, you can do something about those, on the converter availabilty deal, install the front pump assembly out of one of the newer trannies, to get rid of the old ball and trunion, any drive line shop can get the stuff to do that, you'll need a regular universal with the GM clamps splined the same as the old out put shaft, then on the driveshaft a u joint the a slip spline added to your driveshaft, alltogether should set you back around $120 for the parts and labor. Hope yu have some luck finding the new pushbutton tranny, I have one but wouldn't want to part with it, I'm just like you, I like that old typewriter shift.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:12 PM

I tried very hard to modify a late (post 65) 727 case for a PB shifter. Finally gave up on that. I use a 65 case - its the only year with a sliding yoke and cable shifter case. I upgraded mine to late model (71 up) internals. There is also a conversion around to use a late model output shaft in the early case (Pro Trans). I use an old (30 years ago B&M) full manual valve body - but have discussed having a later one buiilt with the guys at Tanzact. I like the PBs - they never miss a shift. Bob Mazzolini has some cables available too. You can see my shifter setup in my 68RR at my web site.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

AZMOPAR, That is a nice looking 68, excellent craftmanship, quick question, how long have you been running the Tri City Springs? What shock do you run with them? What pinion angle do you run? I bought a set but haven't run yet, track opens 4/14, can't hardly wait.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:49 PM

Have just got the car back on the track after 3 year project (was only going to take 3 or 4 months!!!) I have really not tried launching it to hard yet - still getting some bugs out. I am running the shocks and springs that Greg Luniak suggested (he sold them to me with the springs) they look like Rancho adjustables. I can't crawl under there tonight but I can get you the P/N thats on the shock tomorrow. I put the suspension in so long ago (2.5 years) that I forget what angle I set it for. I can get a number on that too. So far - without really running off the line (still have 17lbs in the slicks and no line lock so have not tried heating them up) I have seen some 1.5 60ft times with best of 10.4 at 134 in 1/4. There is more there - just haven't got it out yet. I need to do some testing with tire pressure and shock adjustments.
Old 04-03-2001, 06:39 PM
Inactive User

I am running the Rancho 9116's with mine, I set my pinion angle at 4 degrees, guess I will give them a shot the 14'th and make adjustments from there. I thought I was only person who took a long time to finish a short project, looks like I'm not alone. Good luck with the RR, sure looks nice.
Old 04-04-2001, 10:32 AM
Inactive User

Cool 727 push button

I have extra cables, 65 trans cores and it's very easy to change the front pump of the trans to never style convertors....if you need help just drop me a line ....Lee Pritchard.....
Old 04-04-2001, 01:33 PM
Inactive User

Lee, what do you get for one of those cores, I might be interested in one.
Old 04-04-2001, 06:56 PM

Wyoming - I am running the Rancho 9114s - thats what Greg Luniak supplied with the springs. Still have to check angle but its around 4 degrees down...

Lee - I could be very interested in a case and some cables - what length cables do you have?????? I assume they are for the PBs and not the cable operated 65 column shifter..
Old 04-04-2001, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

Cool 65 pushbutton trans parts

To azmopar........ the trans is a 65..... push buttons and cables are out of a 63 belvedere .....i have one empty case and out put shaft and tail shaft housing... you can use any newer 727 guts.... 250.00 for the 65 trans and 50.00 for the cables..... also i have one extra out put shaft and 65 tail shaft.... you can covert your old bolt on 727 to slip yoke.....100.00 plus 50.00 for the cables.
Old 04-05-2001, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

Post Push button on lever case

Carl Wallace had a pushbutton shifter mounted on the floor of his 67 cuda. He enclosed the button assembly in a box and custom fit it on the tranny hump for comfort. He made a bracket that allowed the cable to attach to the ltransmission shift lever from the rear of the case. You adjust the throw of the lever to match the cable stroke. You will also need to put a softer detent spring in the valve body as the buttons took the strength of KingKong to push with the stock spring.

In your case (Push button shifter in stock location), you will need a longer cable in order to come from the rear of the case.

Guess what I found at the fleamarket a few weeks ago!!
A 1965 small block 727 cable shift transmission in real good shape. I paid $50 for a package deal that consisted of it, and several other 727s for both big and small block. Nope, not for sale.

Billy
Old 04-05-2001, 06:47 PM

I tried the external lever on a late 727 with the PB shifter before I went for the 65 case. You definitely need the weaker detent spring. The other problem is the drag created by the shaft seal on the detent actuator shaft. The external setup never worked as well as using the 65 case and valve body. It was counter productive to make this setup work when a 65 case solved the problem immediately.
Old 04-06-2001, 07:08 AM
Inactive User

Default Late trans with pushbutton

Here's what I was thinking , I was going to try and use one of the cables from a B&M or Hurst cable shifter. I'm fairly confident that I could construct a bracket of some sort to make it work with the pushbutton shifter. My only problem I can think of is , there are two cables with the factory shifter. I could probably get the gears R,N,D,2,1 to work . But then I have the problem of putting the thing in Park. HMmmmm? THis is the part that has me baffled. But, I think this is the route I am going to take. I refuse to pay $250 for a transmission when I have 10 of the later models. Not that I don't think its worth it. And then what in the world do you do if you break it? Screwwed city! I liked the weaker detent spring idea! I wouldn't have thought of that if it wasn't mentioned. That would have been my luck, have the tranny ready to go and not be able to push it in gear! If there are any more suggestions or ideas, don't hesitate to post! Thanks!
Old 04-06-2001, 03:46 PM
Inactive User

Post Park?

The park cable is a single throw type, so any lever with an over-center spring load should hold it in park.

Personally, I use a park brake. I omitted all the park, governor, and rear pump parts when I put the modern slip type output shaft in my pre 65 case.

Also, another note: I have three different 727 pushbutton transmission types (2 sb and 1 bb). Each has a different extension housing. I found that strange.

Good luck

Billy
Old 04-14-2001, 07:11 PM

Unhappy pushbutton trany

I ran a pushbutton trany for 4 years of drag racing up til recently + the only slip yoke are 1965 trannies but other than housing + valve body all other parts are inter changeable we ran a 4000 stall on ours with a hemi clutch pack no problem ( find an old savoy or polara)and order a reverse manual valve body from turbo action and you'll have no problems ours has over 400 passes on it in the 11 second range and no problems.
Old 04-15-2001, 06:44 PM

Unhappy extra info

I got thinking last night + you also have to change the front pump in the trany because the dogs on the pump are a differt size then a none pushbutton it will require shaving a piece of the casting so trial fit the pump first.