Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-01-2001, 06:39 PM
Inactive User

Question

Been having some trouble with my TF727. Hope someone can help.

First the history. Bought a 73 Challenger and swapped in a 440 w/ tranny from another Challenger. Tranny seemed to work fine in forward gears, 1st, 2nd and drive. Reverse tho, always acted as if it were binding, kind of like I had the parking break engaged. With a little more throttle tho, reverse would work. Kind of figured the problem was in the band adjustment. Also, the kickdown never appeared to work properly.

Anyway, bought a B&M shift kit and installed a stage II street/strip in it. Went through all the band adjustments and reset them to factory specs. Then installed the kit per instructions.

After installation we ran through all the gears when the car was on blocks and everything appeared to be okay. Dropped the car, put her in reverse and, no more dragging. Reverse is now nice and solid. The car ran through the forward gears (1st, 2nd & drive in the drive position) just fine. Shifted a bit harder as expected and the shift speeds were good.

However now, when I put the shift lever in the 1st gear position the tranny starts to lock up similar to the reverse problem I was having to begin with. 2nd and drive gear again, work fine

Rechecked kick down linkage adjustment, double checked front and rear band adjustments and removed and rechecked kit installation per instructions. Same result. Reverse works well and forward gears in drive position work well but tranny still wants to lock up when in the fist gear shift position. Any ideas???
Old 04-02-2001, 09:31 AM
Inactive User

Try backing off the L&R band adjustment about a turn, sounds like it's too tight.
Old 04-02-2001, 09:48 AM
Inactive User

Well, that was a dumb answer, the L&R drum is stopped in low so it wouldn't matter if the adjustment was too tight. My only excuse is it's early and I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:01 AM
Inactive User

Output shaft support broken or worn out is one possibility.