Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-03-2001, 06:17 PM
Inactive User

Question

Hi guys,

I got an intake question for you all. What I have is this:

71 Charger Super Bee with a rebuilt 383, 727 AT, and 8 3/4 rear with the standard 3.23:1 gears (not sure if it is a sure grip) For tires I am going with the largest I can fit on a stock 14" rim. The engine rebuild is as follows:

0.030 over bore with a 10/10 grind on the crank
Pistons are kb Hyperutectics
Cam is Comp Cams XE268H
Heads are stock 906's with oversize valves 2.14/1.81 and a good port and polish job
Thin steel head gasket
hevy duty push rods on stock steel rocker arms
MP Electronic ignition with stock coil

What I do not have yet is a good intake choice. I have a rebuilt TQ so I would like to stay with a spread bore (Please no suggestions for putting in Holley's or edelbrock's!!!) I am thinking about either the Edelbrock Performer or the Performer RPM. I would like to use the RPM, but the it is a full 1.5" higher than the performer. Since the car is all torn apart right now I can not measure for hood clearance. Do any of you 71-74 b body guys use the RPM? Are there clearance issues? I want to use the stock dual snorkel air cleaner. Is it really a large improvement over the Performer?
Old 04-03-2001, 06:25 PM
Young Mopar Life

If it fits(I think it should) you should go Performer RPM, Much better than Performer. The Performer is more like a light weight stock replacement. If you hogged it out with a diegrinder it would work ok, but I think your car needs a Performer RPM
Old 04-03-2001, 06:35 PM

Thumbs up

The performer RPM is the same height as a six-pack intake. Six-packs were an option for your car so i believe you will have the clearance to run the RPM and your dual snorkel air cleaner. Your 383 sits lower than a 440 so you will be ok clearance wise. There is a HUGE difference the performer and the RPM. You need a good flowing intake for your set up. Go with the RPM!

Clayton
Old 04-03-2001, 07:15 PM
Inactive User

For the tires, I have used 235x60x14" on stock rims with no problems, but for the big Charger I would go with 15x7" rim as a minimum. If you put stiffer T-bars or sway bars on the car the small tires will be scuffing the sidewalls on tight turns
You should be able to fit 15x8" rims in front and 15x10" rims in back with 275x50x15 front tires and 295 (or bigger)x50x15" rear.

My '71 Charger has the smaller 15x7" front rims with 255x60x15" tires and there is plenty od room for a wider tire, but not much taller. On the street I run the same sized tire on the back (I got the set before really checking out what would fit.) At the track I put 11.5" wide (actually about 13" wide sidewall to sidewall) x 26" tall M/T Street ET tires on 15x10" rims. With 5" back spacing these clear the front leaf spring clamp by about 1/2", there is more clearance at the rear (inner tire sidewall to leafspring.)

With the KB pistons and thin head gasket you will probbly have at least 10:1 compression?
I don't know too much about the Comp Cams 268 cam, but it is probbly pretty close to the stock HP cam size?
This should make alot of lower/mid range torque, and the big heads should help extend the RPMs.
For your combination the stock intake is probbly not a bad choice except that it is heavy!
I'm not sure the standard Performer will give you much more power over the stock 4-bbl intake, the Performer RPM would probbly be a better choice, and if you later decide to run a bigger cam you won't have to change manifolds again. The problem is the RPM is a square carb pattern intake?
I have never used the Mopar M1 dual plane, but I think it will accept the Thermoquad and it is supposed to perform pretty good (probbly simular to the Performer RPM?)

I think the SuperBee has that weird inverted hood?
If it does, I don't know how much clearance it has. I have the Power Bulge hood on my car and it allows a pretty tall intake carb/aircleaner combination.
You may have to use a droped base aircleaner, but I don't know for sure.
When the engine is in and the hood bolted on (make sure the aircleaner stud is removed) you can put some loosely crumpled aluminum foil ontop of the carb or aircleaner and carefully close the hood. This will crush the aluminum foil to the amount of clearance there is.
Old 04-03-2001, 09:04 PM
Inactive User

YOUR BEE HAS THE POWER BULGE HOOD CORRECT? IF SO THE RPM WILL FIT O.K. IF YOUR RUNNING THE FLAT HOOD THEN YOU SHOULD GO WITH THE PERFORMER.
Old 04-04-2001, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Yes the 71 Super Bee has the same power bulge hood as the R/T. The only difference is that the R/T had a louvered style hood insert while the super Bee had a flat insert with two slanted sides that look kind of like valve covers.

I really like the imputs on the Performer RPM. It seems to be the right kind of manifold for me. I thought that it had two sets of mounting holes so that it could take either a square bore or a spread bore carb. I want to use my TQ so I'll need a spread bore. If this is not so then I suppose I will have to get a Mopar Performance M1 single plane, but I really don't want to if I don't need it.
Old 04-04-2001, 08:56 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Exclamation

Dont you need an adapter for the carb to fit the intake? This would raise it a 1/2 inch, right?
Old 04-04-2001, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

Check with Edelbrock but the RPM only takes the square bore Holley. How about a Holley Street Dominator? I used to have one and it took TQ or Square bore. You cannot buy one new but they do show up at swap meets. Mine fit under a 70 Bee hood.
Old 04-07-2001, 01:57 AM

I have a Performer rpm on my daily driven 383 and i love it. Huge improvement over a stock one. It has two sets of mounting holes for carbs. A couple years ago High Performance Mopar went from a extrude honed stock 383 intake on their 65 coronet (which already showed an improvement of .2 or .3 seconds) to an stock rpm and they gained another .2-.3 seconds. They also had a test between the m1 single plane and the rpm and they were identical in gains and they said the rpm was a little more driver friendly.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:11 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Man is it close

Yesterday i finally got around to measuring for clearance. The engine is out of the car so I had to do some eyeballing. It looks like I have 23 inches between the engine mount holes and the bottom of the hood. Not as much as I originally thought. With my stock intake, a spreadbore adaptor, my TQ and the stock dual snorkel I eyeballed about 221/2"! Wow! Does this seem right? I really want to get the RPM, but I just dont know if it will work. Do you all think that a performer with gasket matching and maybe a 1" spacer will work. I want this engine to look stock so I really want to keep my TQ and air cleaner!
Old 04-13-2001, 10:10 PM
Inactive User

The EDelbrock catalogue has listings on how to measure for height, with their manifolds. Call them they will send you one.