Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-04-2001, 09:16 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Hi guys,

Was driving back from Sydney about 50 minutes from home when that tapping noise I heard a few days earlier started to get much louder and consistant. I crawled home and pulled the rocker covers off with the engine idleing to see what was going on. Each pushrod was hitting the edge of the pushrod holes in the top of the cylinder head. Why?

Could it be collapsed lifters, could they all go at once?

I had the heads off to replace the valve stem seals about 1000 miles ago, could I have stuffed something up?

It is a '69 motor, so it has hydraulic lifters and non-adjustable top end. Pretty stock motor, just a 350 Holley (scum sucking carby if ever I saw one) and dual 2 inch exhaust. Engine has done approx 150,000 miles.

Anyway the car is out of rego now but I am sick of driving mums Ford to work I am looking at buying a rebuilt 318 advertised in the trading post but would still love to know what is wrong with my little 273, any ideas?

David Thomson
Old 04-04-2001, 04:21 PM
Inactive User

David,
I would look for bent pushrods as a starting point. Make sure the rocker shaft bolts are tight.

Question: are the pushrods hitting the inner, outer ,front, or rear of the holes?

Billy
Old 04-04-2001, 05:15 PM
Inactive User

If you have the stock 1.5:1 ratio rockers I would suspect you probbly bent the pushrods?
You can pull them and check them pretty easy by rolling them on a flat surface.
If you put 1.6:1 rockers in the pushrods come close to the inside of the pushrod holes.
Old 04-07-2001, 09:29 AM
Inactive User

Billy,

The shaft bolts were the first thing I checked and they were torqued down nice and tight.
They are hitting the outer edge of the hole. ie away from the valley, the bottom edge of the hole if you will.

Jim,

It's just got the stock ratio rockers. I cleaned the garage out this morning so I'll pluck the pushrods out tomorrow and check to see if they are bent.

Thanks Guys,
David Thomson
Old 04-07-2001, 12:34 PM
Inactive User

Tell me about the valve seal job. Did you remove the heads? Or did you use one of the compressed air in the cylinder methods? I am really wondering about oil flow to the lifters, possibly a restriction of some sort. If those push rods are hitting the bore walls then they must have slipped out of their seats. Another somewhat remote chance is if the valves are sticking, slow to close. This would let them loose. I figure it will be one event that will have an effect on all 16, and sorry to say, I think it has something to do with your new valve seal job. Hopefully you've caught it in time. Best of luck.