Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-04-2001, 08:15 PM
Inactive User

how can i lock the engine on a 400, incar.
Old 04-04-2001, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Smile

My manual says to remove the starter and wedge a large screw driver or pry bar against the flywheel teeth. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2001, 09:16 PM
Inactive User

Clayton I Just smack the ratchet with a hammer till it breaks loose, than the engine comp. is usually enough to hold it the rest of the way. A trusting friend to hold the dampner helps out to. If this fails , the removal of the inspection plate and maybe even the starter may be needed,to secure the crank.Sport
Old 04-04-2001, 09:34 PM
Inactive User

Get a length of soft nylon rope that will fit through the spark plug hole. With the piston coming up on the compression stroke (both valves closed), stuff enough rope in there to stop the piston from going past TDC then rotate the crank until it stops. Be sure you leave enough sticking out of the hole so you can pull it back out. When you want to remove the rope, rotate the crank the opposite direction and pull the rope back out. This also works to hold the valves in place if you are changing valve springs or seals.
Old 04-04-2001, 11:37 PM
HOT ROD JOHN

IMPACT WRENCH!
Old 04-05-2001, 03:24 AM
Inactive User

I hate crawling under the car.
An impact wrench is the easiest way to remove the bolt if you have an impact wrench?
I sometimes use a brass piston stop that screws in through the sparkplug hole, but I usually use it when I torque the bolt on.
The rope in the sparkplug hole works really good too, but make sure your on the compression stroke so both valves are closed, or remove the rocker gear so the valves are closed as you don't want to risk bending an open valve.
Old 04-05-2001, 11:01 AM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Okay guys I am surprised no one else has mentioned this.

I use a breaker bar with a breaker bar extension (read that a piece of pipe) and bring it up under the right (passanger) frame. THen make sure the socket is good on the Dampner bolt and kick over the starter and it loosens right up. then take it out the rest of the way.

On reinstalling the best way I have found to make sure you get all the torque on it is to do this witht he oil pan off and wedge a piece of wood in between a crank counter weight and the block this way the crank cant turn. You probably can dothis in the car but its a pain to remove the oil pan in the car. So I usually do in that case without a impact wrench is the above smack the breaker with a BFH (Big f'ing Hammer).

Hope this helps.

Christian