Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-07-2001, 08:47 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

The 383 was rebuilt stock (except for the 6pack cam) in June of '99. A new radiator was purchased October of '99. Just changed out the thermastat...that didnt work. I've checked for bubbles in the radiator coolant while hot (head gasket)...no bubbles. The temp sending unit I installed about 5 months ago...I have also flushed the system. I even changed the oil hoping that would work! The fan clutch engages and the water pump was bought new. If I had a gun, I think that I'd shoot her! but she's my daily driver and my first car. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2001, 09:09 PM
Inactive User

Question

Are you using a fan shroud-this helps alot and if its ran hot since the rebuild maybe its set up too tight. Does it seem like just the water temp and not the oil temp?
Old 04-07-2001, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

Default just began to run hot

The problems just started about a week ago. And negative on the shroud...the radiator is bigger than the stock radiator and the old shroud wouldnt fit. I didnt bother putting another one on...but since it was working fine without one, I wasnt in a rush to get one.
Old 04-07-2001, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

look in the rad while it is running,careful not to get scalded.make sure water is curculating,could have a bad themostat even if it is new.are the hoses good shape ,they could calapse at higher rpm's.does it run hot all the time or just under hard loads or hot days?
Old 04-07-2001, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Does your car get hot sitting or while driving? If its while sitting, its a radiator problem. If its while driving its a circulation problem. You can get a high flow thermistat (openning bigger than stock). Do you have an overflow tank? If not, does it lose fluid? As 70gtx reccomended, check for circulation when its up to temp. You can also check the temp with a meat thermomiter, after it is warmed up. good luck and save your gun for hunting season.....
Old 04-08-2001, 06:20 AM
Inactive User

Default Check a few other things.........

Few questions..........

What is your compression ratio?
You should be running no higher than a 160* thermostat
if your CR is higher than stock.
Is your timing correct? Check your initial timing and make sure your are not over advanced.
Eyeball your sparkplugs. Make sure you are not leaned out for some reason (vacuum leak?). I recently noticed my 383 Coronet was running a bit too hot after I did some carb tuning. I check the plugs and sure enough, I leaned it out too much.
Consider the effect of warmer weather also.
And last but not least; put your faith in a MECHANICAL gage not an electrical one. It is worth the trouble and expense to install one because you can now that it is dead on accurate when an electrical (dash) gage can give your inaccurate readings for several different reasons. (Yeah, like 30 year old wiring harnesses that get flaky when the humidity in the air changes)
Old 04-09-2001, 05:29 PM
Inactive User

Smile CR close to stock...

When the engine was rebuilt, it had to be bored .030 so its still close to stock. I did see the fluid circulating and no bubbles. I will check the timing and the other suggestions. I really appreciate everyones help. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2001, 09:49 PM
Inactive User

Red face Fan clutch? lean condition?

You said the fan clutch is working, but be sure. It may look like it is but they can still slip. Not having the shroud will be a problem is hot weather. I am going to an electric fan because I can't find a shroud to fit mine. The fan without a shroud makes a nice breeze but doesn't pull any air through the radiator.
If the problem 'suddenly' appeared and you did the normal things like change the thermostat and so forth I would suppect a lean condition. Look at your plugs like I said before. One more check, pull your thermostat out all together and see if it runs cooler at all. That will allow max flow of water and not regulate it due to tempature. A long shot is a vanes wearing down on your water pump (have seen it before) and not really moving much water, just sloshing it around. This is usually only on high mileage engine with the original pump on them.
Keep us posted.