Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-08-2001, 02:11 AM
Inactive User

Question

Dodge is kicking butt....

Anyone know what type of engine they're running in this series? Are they the same 5.7L Hemis that are in the intrepids? Got some specs? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2001, 09:09 AM
Inactive User

Smile

I think I heard they had to use the 'old engine for Daytona, but could use the Winston type engine, R5 block, 12:1 CR after that. Harry
Old 04-08-2001, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

I have not seen the 5.7 "hemi" engine but I don't think the Nascar engine is even close.

The Nascar block(R5) looks like the sprint car block only out of cast iron(Nascar rules). It has cross bolt mains(all 5), recessed cam drive inside the block, the same bore spacing and cam location as 318-360(Nascar rules), ten 1/2" head studs on each side(same as 318-360) and an additional twelve 3/8" studs an each side. The deck height is 9"(Nascar minimum). It weights about 200 lbs.

The P7 Nascar heads are aluminum, use staggered intake and exhaust valve alignment, use 2.200" intake and 1.625" exhaust, very high port centerline and very large. The valve arrangement is IEIEEIEI which is unique to any Dodge engine. The heads weight 27 lbs. bare.

I hopes this description helps. I have never seen a photo of the bare block or heads(although some paper mockup have been photoed).
Old 04-09-2001, 12:14 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

It does help Sandborn, thanks! I had though it was some type of Hemi, but I didn't know squat about the engine.
Old 04-09-2001, 12:40 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Nascar wouldnt allow them to use a Hemi engine..ford and gm were already companing to much about the bore spacing
Old 04-09-2001, 12:45 PM
Inactive User

Go figure....thanks Maxwedge.
Old 04-09-2001, 11:38 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Basically same engine they use in the Busch cars,,The hemi's were built and dyno'ed and Furd and Chubby complained terribly about the hemi's ability to rpm into the stratosphere and they could not,,Its is shelved for the moment ,not for good yet,,Like I keep saying "time to build it then race it no more sniveling and crying about the others",,Let the best car,engine and program win,no more scripted shows like they are now........
Old 04-10-2001, 12:13 AM

I see some of the magazines,even mopar mags comparing the new nascar head to cheby an f.o.d.Well nothing could be further from the truth.Go back to the poly engines and the hemi engines and you will see it was mopar that had the bad ass parallel port,porcupine heads long before them other num nuts jumped in.The old poly engine had a great head just no aftermarket support way back then,of course there was no such thing as aftermarket or factory support back in the early 60's. Smallblock nascar engines got to where they are as a result of the poly head and the mopes ain't even been rac'in nascar until now. food for thought,waynebo
Old 04-10-2001, 10:53 AM
Inactive User

Angry

OK...so what you guys are saying is Mopar built a smaller Hemi (5.7? 5.9?) only to have it refused by Nascar officials and this was because Furd and Shivy objected to its greater rpm ability? AAAARRGH! Whatta bunch of loosers. I was really hoping this little Hemi would have been approved. To Damn much politics in Nascar for improvements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2001, 03:06 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Nascar for better or worse, is a spectator sport first, then a competative auto race. The fans and their money are the most important element of the series. I cannot blame them BUT It does make it seem a little scripted..The Hemi had no chance from the beginning and probably wont even when its the only V8 Mopar puts on the road. If you want "Run what you Brung" racing watch the Vipers walk all over the vets....Nuff Said
Maxwedge
Old 04-11-2001, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

"If you want "Run what you Brung" racing watch the Vipers walk all over the vets....Nuff Said"

What I want, is TOTAL domination of the track by Dodge.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

This comment may be totally wrong but it is what I understand happened with the Hemi and Nascar. The Mopar engineers went to Nascar with a design for a Hemi only on(or in) paper. It was not based on the 5.7 Hemi and about the only commonality was the fact they both could be called a Hemi. It was a very radical race only design. I have heard comments even from Mopar that they didn't really expect it be approved. But, they had to overshoot the mark in order to get consessions in the approved design. Could be BS, Political Correctness, the truth or somewhere in between.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:28 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

I wouldnt doubt that Sanborn
It is a pretty gray area. There was talk of the Prostock guys and the Nascar guys trading info during the early stages of both there engine development cycles. The only reason that they would be able to do that with ANY positive results would be if their engines shared some parts...the prostock guys have that new Hemi...and at the time the engine everyone was talking about for nascar was a Hemi also????HMMMM makes you wonder what could have been??
Maxwedge