Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-10-2001, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

I have never been more confused! For everyone one article that tells you what you need,another says it wont work.I posted this last week had one reply and one E-mail thanks but im still confused.I have an almost new set of cragar 3-1/2 x 15 ultra lights ready to go on my 70 duster bracket car as soon as i can make the conversion.today in the wrecking yard i found a 76 valiant 4 door with discs that just came in this year eveyrthing looks pretty good wheels and tires were still on it! I plan to get the knuckles(spindles) caliper adapters calipers rotors and maybe proportioning valve? pop the upper and lower ball joints loose and take everything.will it bolt up?do i really need the upper control arm? they are pulling this stuff in the morning and i will pickup and PAY--------Right after i check this board. ---Thanks
Old 04-10-2001, 11:45 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

They will work...just line them up and see, you might want to take the mounting and spindle off the drumbreak set and compare them to the existing desk set...they should be exactly the same or obviously different, so dont worry about things being just a little different..it should be plane to see..
I did a sucsessful conversion of a 68RR to 73(?) Demon disk breaks...also make sure you get the proportioning valve from the diskbreak car!!!!!!!!!!
Maxwedge
Old 04-11-2001, 12:39 AM

Everything should be a direct bolt-on. I put spindles off a '74 Valiant onto my '69 RR, no problem. I could have also used the rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, EVERYTHING off of the Valiant, but I decided to step up to the 11-3/4 inch rotors which required different rotors, calipers, and brackets. These large rotors are not necessary in your case (A-body drag race car). Just take everything off of the donor car, even stuff you might not think you'll need, just in case you need it; basically pop off the steering knuckle and upper ball joint from each spindle and take everything with it. You may need to take the rotor off to remove the knuckle and ball joint; just remember that anything you take off you will need to keep to re-assemble the stuff later. Oh yea, you also need the brake hoses (best to buy new ones) and master cylinder off the donor car. The best way to get the correct front/rear brake proportioning is to get an adjustable brake proportioner from a speed shop; that way you can dial in the correct proportioning for YOUR car. Cars are all a little different and so need different proportioning. Your drag car is going to have a lot more weight transfer than a street car (right?) so the proportioning is going to be way different from any street car Mopar made, i.e. there really won't be a stock proportioning valve that'll work perfectly. Mopar Action magazine does a wonderful drum-to-disc upgrade series, their article will cover any questions that you may have.
Old 04-11-2001, 12:49 AM
Inactive User

I did this too with my 67 cuda. The most important parts to get off the car are the spindles (knuckles), caliper brackets, dust shield and upper control arm. I believe the upper control arm for the disk brake cars used a bigger ball joint than the drums. The rest of the stuff you can get new, including calipers. Of course, if its there and its good you might as well grab it. You can't go wrong by grabbing everything from upper control arms down.
Old 04-12-2001, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

Take everything. You won't have to pay much more for it all and it might come in handy. You do need the upper control arm since you need the bigger ball joint. You don't necessarily need the lower control arm but it can't hurt to have it. And you might need it if you decide to run the later style anti-sway bar. Also, when you get into these things you sometimes find out that you have some bad parts. Always a good idea to have at least one spare set of everything. They aren't making this stuff anymore you know. Once it is crushed you'll never get it back.
Old 04-14-2001, 08:04 PM

Thumbs up disc it

I run a duster K frame with 76 aspen upper a arms + spindles you should be good with your choice just check you ball joints + compare that is the only difference.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

Thanks everyone,as it turns out I did have to go back and get the upper control arms because of the larger ball joint.now just a little brake line plumbing and an alignment oh yeah the new wheel/ tire combo is about 2 inches taller and is contacting the fenderwell header on the drivers side.so will have to do something there.--but hell the little sucker does look better!
Old 04-21-2001, 03:14 AM

Smile header contact

On our dart drag car our tires were hitting and we heated the tubes and bent them back a bit also after the alignment we gained a lot of room.
Old 04-21-2001, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Default 451boy...

451boy...

Please fix your email address (submit your correct address)! We are getting ALOT of bounced emails!

Thanks,

Andrew Balto