Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-01-2000, 03:38 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

It doesn't seem real these days. I'm driving along at 60 mph on the highway in my Dakota R/T and I put my foot down at less than 1/2 throttle to open up my speedy pace. With the windows down, I hear a knocking from my 5.9 Magnum!!!
93 Octane in the tank and the AC on or off, its still the same.
Now, Who also experiences this and who is looking for a solution? It doesn't sound too cool when I'm next to someone on the highway, don't you agree?

------------------
Old 08-01-2000, 06:41 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I HAVE A '98 DAKOTA SPORT AND I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND THERE IS A VERY SIMPLE FIX. CHANGE YOUR THERMOSTAT TO A 180 DEGREE UNIT AND THIS WILL GET RID OF YOUR PROBLEM.
Old 08-02-2000, 04:54 PM
Inactive User

Did the same thing (180 Tstat). Helped a lot. Those clog-happy POS @$%&* catyletic converters tend to make it run hot too. High flow unit will help a lot.

Putting in some Chemtool or other injector/valve cleaner followed by an Italian tune-up always helps. Italian tune-up is go out and run the stink out of it. Bounce it off the rev limiter a couple times. Helps clean the valves -- no bull.

My 95 360 RAM is at 118,000 miles. With the 180 stat and the cat gutted, I NEVER get knock or ping. May want to change your clutch fan too.
Old 08-04-2000, 12:46 AM
Inactive User

my 98 r/t 5.9L did it also until i changed thermostat to 180 degree and put autolite 3923 plugs in it. they are a step colder than stock plugs. i've run it hard at drags when it was over 100 degrees and no problem.
Old 08-04-2000, 07:38 AM
Inactive User

My '92 318 Dakota had this problem. Read an article in Mopar Muscle(I think) a couple years back which described a problem these motors had with intake manifold base cover gaskets; that's the sheet metal cover on the bottom of the manifold, facing the lifter valley; not the manifold-head gaskets. Anyway, these things leak, letting oil puddle in the manifold, which feeds the engine a steady diet of oil vapors. That was the problem on mine. I had carbon all over everything, too. I'm afraid to wonder what condition the cat converter is in, though it hasn't shown any problems. 118K, still pulls 19.7mpg @65 mph in 95-degree weather on 87-octane. I also run the 180 T-stat just for good measure.

[This message has been edited by Buddy (edited August 04, 2000).]
Old 08-07-2000, 05:13 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies. Great info.
Now, another question...
Sometimes I start my R/T and I notice a small smoke cloud from the exhaust, right at the start-up, then it clears up. No particular color but gray. I don't touch the gas pedal either, so its not due to extra fuel ; nor do I rev the engine before turning the engine off, loading up the cylinders. Anybody else seen this?