Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-15-2001, 02:42 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have a 65 coronet with a 413.this car has factory air,someone installed a flex fan.I can not stand the whine!.I'm thinking of going to either a clutch fan which I pick up off a late big block B-Body,or lose the flex and go with an electric fan.I do have a a/c condenser to make matters worse.The car cools just fine now.

1. Can I use the flex and a electric pusher?
2. Can I use just a electric.
3. Should I leave it all alone
4.Do you think the clutch fan will bolt in?

All advise is appreciated....Todd
Old 04-15-2001, 05:19 PM
Inactive User

Wink My thoughts on a great cooling system

Hey again Todd...it's like i'm stalking you and your posts..

Last year I ran a viscous fan set up AND a pusher fan. The car had (yes, past tense) a .055 over 440 w/ iron heads, 4.30 gears, and a 4,800 stall. The clutch fan was great for open road driving, and the pusher helped when creaping in 'cruise' traffic. 220 degrees was the most it saw in the summer. Just get the highest CFM rating on the fan that you can, and make sure it is designed as a pusher. I think the flex fan can flatting out and actually hinder airflow at times. oh, and another thing, I used the B&M race cooler to cool the trans, by passing the radiator all together.

Hope this helps and not hinders...
Old 04-18-2001, 01:44 AM
Inactive User

Just to add to what FuryusVIP stated. You can use a pusher fan with a thermostatically controlled on-off switch. It will only work when the motor hits a certain temperature. I am a believer in viscous clutch with a stock 7 blade A/C fan. With my hood open and the temperature hot you can be standing at the drivers door and feel the breese. A fan shroud is also a must.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:48 AM
Inactive User

I installed the Mopar viscous fan package and it works good, but I think it does come closer to the radiator than the old fan setup that was on my car.
I have a pusher fan, but it really dosen't help allot when driving. It is nice to turn it on when the engine is off to help cool between rounds at the race track
Old 04-19-2001, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

Default fan advice...

Hey,
If you go with any electric fan at all, I have one hard learned piece of advice for you: get a SPAL brand fan. They have the highest CFM rating/cooling capacity of any brand out there. They also feature OEM style manufacturing quality, with beefy motors and blade/shroud construction. I'm running dual 13" high performance models with an aftermarket 31" wide alum. radiator on my '68 Charger, with much success. I'm probably sounding a little emphatic about this, but I would hate to see others go down the same path I have (purchasing/installing lesser fans only to find out they just don't cool as well as advertised). Feel free to e-mail me regarding proper installation and set-up.
Dan

PS: if interested check out:
www.spal-usa.com
www.vintageair.com
Old 04-19-2001, 10:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Avoid the flex fan!

What ever you do avoid the metal blade flex fans. They are dangerous because the blades are like razors. I am running one now and am going to swap it for a electric. I can't find a shroud to fit my radiator so and electric on a thermostat will suit me fine.
Old 04-20-2001, 06:39 AM

Default 31" wide radiator

Charger, tell us more about that 31" rad. Please>
Old 04-20-2001, 07:55 AM
Inactive User

Charger Dan is on the right track, Spal makes very nice, OEM quality, stuff. The 31 inch radiator is the key to his success. I have tried just about every electric made on the turbo 340 and although it would not puke, it would run warmer than I would like in traffic. On the 26" radiator, the biggest fans that fit are the Spal twin 11", which is not quite enough, in traffic, when it is hot.

I have just finished switching to a clutch fan and shroud. We will see how it does this summer.
Old 04-20-2001, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

Default my radiator...

The radiator on my '68 Charger is a Howe aluminum unit, part #342EF. It's approx. 31" wide x 19" tall, with two rows of 1" tubes. It barely fit between my frame rails, and I did have to trim back the "lip" at the top of the frame rails in order for everything to clear. It fit pretty well - the outlets are Ford/Chrysler style: upper-right in, lower-left out. I even managed to locate an upper radiator hose (after MUCH searching at the local parts store) that fits like it grew there. I believe I paid $200 for it through Summit. It's a good buy if you don't mind doing a little fabricating and cutting on your ride.
D
Old 04-20-2001, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

Red face

here's an idea,I ran the 14 oz after testing the clutch,electric and found the flexolite 14 oz was the best overall,even the electric caused the alternater to cause a bigger loss.Ran i the 1/4 mile drag car.
Old 04-21-2001, 12:32 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Funny my flex fan doesn't whine-does it sound like a 3 year old whine? Also I run a shrould on my 26" radiator so I don't come in contact with those "sharp edges" like the Doctor. Good luck on your decision
Old 04-21-2001, 05:58 PM
Inactive User

Default What is Spal and do they have a web site.>>>> n/m

N/M
Old 04-21-2001, 07:40 PM
Inactive User

Auggie, charger_dan gave the address, it's
www.spal-usa.com , and I will add that I run a electric fan my Dart with a good fitting aluminum shroud that I made for it, I got the fan off a Camaro and I think it is about 15" Dia. It works well for racing but I don't drive the car on the street. When I did drive it on the street I had a clutch fan that I took off a big Dodge car (don't remember the type) that had air-conditioning, it worked very well and I never had any overheating problems.
Old 04-21-2001, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

I run a small block challenger. The motor stays nice and COOL with a heavy duty perma-cool electric fan. Its a 16" fan the highest cfm that they make. Summit has them. With the electric fan i also use the stock radiator shroud and a 180 deg thermostat. The fan is thermostatically controlled similar to the way a late model GM car works. No ugly probes in the radiator hose. You have to figure if late model corvettes are cooled electrically you can cool a big block easily. Nothing like free horsepower by not turning a fan!
Old 04-22-2001, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Thanks guys.

-Auggie-