Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-18-2000, 05:07 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Red face

I was driving my 68 cuda 383/727 3.91 cone sure-grip 489 case 8-3/4 down the highway last night about 65 or 70. The speedo isnt working not sure why yet. Anyways while going down the road the rear wheels locked almost put me in a spin the only thing that saved me was the gaurd rail I steered into it to straighten out. Clipped it with the front fender and stopped about 50 feet from there. Halfway into the Highway with no way to move it. Oh and I was on an overpass. Ouch was so worried about a semi coming along and clipping the car and totalling it out.

I removed the driveshaft thinking the newly rebuilt trans let loose and locked in park. No go. State trooper and city cop came by and had to call the wrecker.

I havent gotten into tearing the rear apart yet this was at 11PM last night.

Will start tonight.

Any guesses as to what went wrong? I like to hear some suggestions. I have some ideas of my own. The lock up is in the rear as with the drive shaft remove you can not turn the rear wheels the front wheels are just fine.

Have fun guessing. I will let you all know as soon as I find out what it is.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Formula S recreation
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360

[This message has been edited by ChristianCuda (edited May 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ChristianCuda (edited May 22, 2000).]
Old 05-18-2000, 07:57 PM
Inactive User

My first guess would be that the pinion nut has backed off.

Try to tighten the pinion nut before you tear it apart and see if the axle shafts free up.

My second guess would be that something has come loose in your SG and it's a mess - how to fix it is another story..... may be beyond repair.

wishing you the best...
ART
Old 05-18-2000, 08:00 PM
Inactive User

My first guess would be that the pinion nut has backed off.

Try to tighten the pinion nut before you tear it apart and see if the axle shafts free up.

My second guess would be that something has come loose in your SG and it's a mess - how to fix it is another story..... may be beyond repair.

wishing you the best...
ART
Old 05-19-2000, 12:10 AM
Inactive User

I had a 79 Ramcharger 4X4 (full time 4WD) which had all of the gear oil in the front pumpkin leak out. The front axle would lock up sometimes at slow speed and in a sharp turn...anyway, the pinion chewed itself up against the ring gear and both needed to be replaced. Worked fine after that.
Good luck.
Old 05-22-2000, 04:48 PM

Well I got it apart. I had just replaced the E-body rear housing with an A-body housing over a year ago while the motor was out. I put in my old gears and new axles but didnt have enough rear end oil at the time so I told myself to get some later and make I put it in before I put the engine back in. Well three months ago I put the motor finally back in and completely forgot to put in more rear end oil. So I got the pumpkin pulled and the gears are ok. The pinion front bearing got hot and busted but stayed together and locked into place. The back pinion bearing was dry and heated. I am going to replace both bearings and put it back together. Both sets of bearings on the ring gear had plenty of oil as did the cone sure-grip. Had to drive the pinion out with a sledge hammer though as it was really stuck. Messed up the pinion nut as that was what I was pounding on. Well atleast everything survived. I dont need new gears and can live with this suregrip still. Planning on building another set of gears and use a clutch suregrip in it. Maybe this week I can get it out to the track and let you all know how it does.

Christian

------------------
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car

[This message has been edited by ChristianCuda (edited May 22, 2000).]
Old 05-23-2000, 02:02 AM
Inactive User

Don't feel too bad, one of the guys at my local track did this with a super gas car !!!!!! He skidded a ways, then got very tight lipped. Wouldn't admit it until the next event. He was able to laugh by then.
Old 08-08-2000, 11:58 PM

Well guys I got the gears rebuilt but in the mean time I had swapped in a set of 3.23

Well got it all back together and running and I have no forward gears so I pull the engine and tranny.

Tear apart the trans and the forward planetary gears center splines were wiped out.

No thats a good trans for ya takes that abuse and thats all that happens
Got ti all back to gether and will be putting it in the car and finally getting this thing to the track this weekend
"God willing"

Christian

------------------
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car