Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-19-2001, 10:46 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I know I didn't want to get into performance yet, but

This looks pretty cool from http://www.intenseperformance.com/pr...tense_air.html

How do they compare with lets say GenII or AirRaid??

Ron Wilson
Old 04-20-2001, 09:26 PM

Default I have the IP Stage III

The reason I got it compared to the airraid is that it take outside air as compared to engine compartment air.

To compare it to the K&N, I liked it because it's drawing air in from the grill IE somewhat forced in where the K&N has the engine compartment sectioned off and it drawing it in from inside the fender. Also the K&N has a cone filter and the IP has a similiar oil type filter but is larger and has an inverted cone on the end. Kind of an extreme filter lid for cone filters.

The only down side I saw was that the canister may somewhat shield the filter.

My impression is that the "power loss" I had on those hot humid summer days was drastically reduced. Real improvement from 3000 rpm and above.

Todd
Old 04-21-2001, 10:23 AM
Inactive User

Thanks Todd. I also think the canister might impede some airflow, but like you said, the additional filter size coupled with drawing in outside air seems like it would more than compensate for than, I would assume.

Plus, IMHO I think it looks better

Gonna have to place it on the buy list I'd say, unless anyone else has any additional opinions out there!

Thanks again,

Ron Wilson
Old 04-21-2001, 04:20 PM

It must not impede it too much because the motor seems to breath better from 3000 on up. Maybe it's because of the inverted cone filter in the end (instead of the cap like the K&N cones have) so it takes some of the requirements off the rest of the filter that is closer to the canister.

BTW I have the 9" power stack filter.

It does look pretty good under the hood. When do you plan on getting it? I want to get back to the track in a month or two so I can see what my 3 mods have given me so far. When I do I will post any info here.

Todd
Old 04-21-2001, 07:32 PM
Inactive User

Well, I just ordered my D last week. I should have it in 4 to 5. The power stack looks good to me, too. I'll probably get one ordered in about 3 weeks . Love to hear what your #'s are...will look for them...

Ron
Old 04-22-2001, 09:32 PM
WILL 98' slt blk 4x4

Cool

I've had the airaid for a couple of months, I could tell a definate improvement in hp. But my D has tendancy to run hot in the summer time so I probably put the stock back on before the heat gets here or go with the k&n gen II or the intense performance III. But theres so many other things I want to do right now.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

I am going to be picking up an air intake system soon. I have always had really good luck with K&N. Does anyone have on there D, and do you like. I am wondering if the intense stage III would be better.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:21 AM

Default JAW

It's hard to say which one is better without buying them both.
The K&N is lower cost and the filter is not shrouded.
The IP looks better IMO and has a larger filter with extra filter capacity in the end (not capped like the K&N), the air is coming in from the grill.

It depends on how much $$ you want to part with for the air coming from the grill and having a good looing system.

I put 10,000 mile on it before I cleaned the filter, I had very little bugs in it/ although I do mostly city driving. I expected to see more with the intake in the grill being 4" diameter tube.

I am happy with my purchase and would only get rid of it if I were to get a shaker hood!!

Good luck on you choice.
Todd
Old 04-24-2001, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

Does the IP system have an oiled filter like the K&N does? I don't know if it matters, but I am not going to ever see any hot weather. I am moving to Seattle, and it doesn't even get to 80 there. I am interested in performance and durability. It sounds like you like yours, but is there anyone that has a K&N too. I am trying to keep my options open, but I am looking for the better of the two systems.
Old 04-24-2001, 03:42 PM

Default yes

The IP used an oil filter similiar to the K&N. It's an S&B filter if I remember right. Did you check out his web site? www.intenseperformance.com
Old 04-25-2001, 09:58 AM
Inactive User

Ron,

Your truck is a 1997, so the cruise control is not located in the same place as the newer trucks. Unfortunately for those of us who have a new 5.9L, the CC is attached about three inches forward of the PCM, and I think would make the installation of that system impossible. I had to relocate my CC two inches forward to fit the AIRAID.

I have noticed significant increases in HP with my AIRAID, and not too much loss as it heats up. I plan to get some HPC headers in the near future, which will help to reduce the underhood temperatures.

Like you, this is only a temporary solution as I plan to install a S/C, which comes with its own intake system.
Old 04-25-2001, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

D-RT-

I already run the Air-Raid on my '97 Ram. The IP Stage II will be for my 2001 D on order (4 weeks).

Ron
Old 04-25-2001, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Waiting is the hardest part, non? You'll love the truck. Parts are still somewhat hard to get for it, so be prepared for that.

If you go to the Intense Performance site, you can see an installation of their standard intake set-up, the only one which will work on the new models, and it is no different from the AIRAID system other than the filter.
Old 04-25-2001, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Still, no one likes the K&N system out there. For all of my jetski and ATV's I have owned, K&N is the only option. It is by far the best out there. Has anyone used it on their D?
Old 04-25-2001, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

Hmmm, OK, now I get ya. The Stage III will not fit the '01 5.9, huh....

That not good. First, I'm having trouble finding a suspension for the 01, now the intake I want will not work......I'm not liking it. I hate to wait!

Ron
Old 04-25-2001, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up IP Stage III does fit 2001 5.9!

John Watkins from Intense Performance has just assured me that the Stage III does indeed work on the 2001 5.9's....see his response below...

Ron Wilson

------------------------------
Ron,

Hehe, Thats a new one on me. Should fit fine and I've never had anyone report
back that they couldn't get one to fit on an 01 5.9.

Stage III is in the works for the 4.7 Z-tube and it's looking like I'll have to
limit it to a 7" filter/canister in order to fit, but thats the only fit problem
I've encountered. Perhaps thats where the confusion is coming from.

Later
John
----------------------------------------------
Old 04-25-2001, 10:16 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

The IP Stage III works fine on 2K and newer D's. The kit comes with a nice bracket to relocate the cruise control. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 04-26-2001, 07:30 AM
Inactive User

Great! I placed my order last night!!

Stage III Powerstack!

Ron