Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-23-2001, 01:03 AM
Young Mopar Life

What type of heads, crank(steel or cast) and what should the CR be for my motor?. Also, what should I expect when I pull the rear end? I have a set of HD springs for a B body, would they fit on my challenger?
I need some help here, i'm in strange water, remember, I am a big block guy! This is what I am thinking, cast iron 4 bbl intake, 1 in spacer, Holley 3310 with some tweaking on the fuel bowls to make it a little less carb, a 340 mag cam, lifters and springs(Hey, I figure the chain is wasted! might as well change this stuff too) or a Comp XE262 kit, 1 5/8 in headers, duals(2 1/2 or 2 1/4), Electonic ignition, 25 in rear tires(from my dad and that way I got more like 3.55s) and I would like to put those springs on. What do you think about that?
Old 04-23-2001, 03:02 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thumbs down

WOW, long list. it'll take a second ..

B body spring wont fit because there 1 ionch longer than e body springs. Don't sound like a lot , right...wrong, heres why. They will hit your rear valance. (Been there done that.)
The engine combo has a flaw. TO much carb. A high performance/race 318 can use a 650. Remember its reallllly small. For ethier combo, you can use a 600cfm. its plenty. Use the spacer if needed. It's not that you can't get the 750 to work, it's just that it won't use it all. 650 max size cfm. Otherwise it's a waste.
Exhaust, 2 1/4 is fine for ethier combo. Works well to about 250 hp.
The 2 1/2 would yeild BEST results for up to 300hp.
Ethier cam is able to make about that 300 hp mark.
You'll more than likely make more top end with the comp cam. My educated guess that is.
Keep the 318 heads for porting. Use a 1.88 intake with a 1.60 exhaust valve.
The stock size tires are about 24-24.5 inch dia. right? I forget. I know there small. It'll work fine with the 3.23 gears.
NOW...the engine specs . Comp ratio should not be any higher (like a big Block ) than pump fuel can handle.
9.5-1 MAX!!!
The crank type along with head depends on year. So ..what year do you have there?
I dont understand the "what to expect when i pull the rear end" question.

rumblefish360...a small block guy
Old 04-24-2001, 10:27 AM
Inactive User

Wink

If money is not a hold up. Edelbrock has realey gotten there stuf together for us Mopar boys. The performer heads rock right out of the box. And if you were to pay to fulley port @ prep stock heads. You would be verry close price wise to the new Edelbrock heads without the performance gain. If money is tight, (seams to go that way) stock 360 heads on you'r 318 would do well. If you can port yourself, 87 and newer 318 closed chamber heads, when ported represent unbelieveable gains (when ported right). Unless you have experence i would never recomend porting at home . There agin i would hafto recomend saveing the money for the new heads if ultament power is the goal. If there agin the budget does not allow it. 360 heads with a stock 360 cam and lifters in the 318 makes a darn fine combination for every day. And the price is right if you happen to have one to donate the parts. Rember its not a brand x motor . Mopar did most of it right the first time. If you can find a 318 pre 73 (72) older . Full floating rist pins,10to1 comp,and a steal crank all standard. You gotto love it. A set of rod bolts (ARP) and the big end of the rods resized . This would be a low buck butt kicker that would turn 6500, 7000 all day long. There is no replacement for (MSD) in my mind for lighting the fire. I might suggest the purchase of Mopar Performance chassie @ engine speed secrets books. The information you will find, you may wonder what you ever did without it. Happy hunting..
Old 04-24-2001, 10:53 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

I would gather Smoke dog was talking about the HP 360 cam which would also be the same as the 340 HP cam. The stock 360 cam is larger than the 318, but, still VERY small.
AGAIN, the right "STUFF" could be on the engine like smoke dog said,but, it depends on the year and how far you want to go.
Old 04-24-2001, 11:22 AM
Inactive User

I only ment , when the money is tight . And you want to gain perfofmance. The 360 heads & cam and lifters on the 318 is a noticeable performance gain for cheap, if you have a doner 360 for these parts. If you are gona by new. I verry mutch so agree this is a small cam. But Mopar performance clames the best all around performance cam for the 318 is only about .010 larger then the stock 360. On a budget . Perfect.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:22 PM
Young Mopar Life

Default NO STINKIN 318!

It's decided, the 383 goes in next winter! I am gonna do a 340 intake, carb, headers, and Comp XE cam if compression is good. But I got heads, rods and a block for a 383.
Old 04-24-2001, 05:45 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Smoke dog;

I wasn't bashing. I think you took it wrong. The right stuff CAN be on the engine! I wasn't kidding at all. Your on it.
Old 04-25-2001, 03:11 AM
Inactive User

Wink

If i seamed to come off to strong, i am sorry. I just wanted you to be sure of my good intentions . Besides were the outcasts, we hafto stay together, or be forced to the dreded smell of an explodeing chebby on the pass.
Old 04-25-2001, 03:34 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Thumbs up

All is cool here. Your good intensions are easy to see. Were on the same page.