Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-07-2000, 08:50 PM
Inactive User

I recently rebuilt a 727 non-lockup for my 1977 Dodge Van. I put it back in and now I have no 2nd gear. I determined this in the following way. Shifted to manual "1" and accelerated to 40MPH, tach read 3600 RPM. Did the same in manual "2" with the same results. In "D" I get one shift at 30MPH and RPM=1500 at 40MPH. Dividing 3600/1500 I get 2.4 which corresponds to the 2.45:1 1st:3rd gear ratio of the 727. Line pressure is good (62psi) in all forward gears. Front servo release in "D" good (62psi), rear servo apply in "1" good (62psi). Shift into 3rd gear occurs at 30MPH(almost closed throttle) and 54MPH (WOT) which corresponds with the speed ranges given as a guide in the Chilton's and the factory service manual. So I would guess governor pressure to be OK. I would also guess throttle pressure to be adjusted correctly for this same reason.
I think some possible causes could be:
1. Kickdown band out of adjustment.
2. 1-2 shift valve stuck.
Can anyone think of any other reason for this, and more importantly, can anyone tell me a way to test what's wrong with ripping the valve body out..Help greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2000, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

A way to see if the bands and servos for second are applying, I pull the pan, and use air pressure to see if I can hear the clucthes and bands applying. I don't remember off hand which holes these are, but I found them in the service manual. If everything operates with air the problem should be in the valve body. Or somewhere else. hope this helps some.
Old 08-08-2000, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

it sounds like the front band strut is not in place. remove pan and valve body and the strut will be laying on top of the valve body. reinstall and 2nd gear will be fine
Old 08-09-2000, 07:07 PM

Did you disassemble the valve body?????
Old 08-10-2000, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Unfortunately, yes. And I know what you're thinking and you're probably right. I probably put a valve in backwards or something. I was just reaching for a way to tell how stupid I was without disassembling it again. Most likely, I won't be able to get around this. I was just wondering if maybe there was some way (probably not) of telling if I did this without opening valve body. Thanks for all the info..I'm going in there Thursday night and will let all know if I was actually stupid enough to put that damn thing in there the wrong way. Thanks again
Old 08-11-2000, 02:49 PM
Inactive User

Well, I took it apart last night and I'm still stumped. Inspected the valve body and everything looks OK. No valves in backwards or sticking. Also, my kickdown band struts were in place. Tried readjusting the kickdown band several times before even going in just to test, but that didn't work. At this point I am stumped. The only thing I haven't checked yet is the front servo apply, and that's because I don't have an air gun. Any way to test it without one???or is it off to the hardware store?? Can the front servo get stuck? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-11-2000, 07:18 PM

There are a set of steel balls in the valve body - the number depends on the year. 68 up you will find at least (5 or 6) 1/4", (1 - goes in large bathtub) 5/16", and possibly (1 line pressure limit) 3/8". If you mix the large ones with any of the small ones, or leave any out(without installing a shift kit) - you will cause various shift malfunctions (I like that word) such as loss of 2nd gear.

[This message has been edited by AZMOPAR (edited August 12, 2000).]
Old 08-14-2000, 02:24 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

It took long enough, but I finally figured it out. Broke down and bought the air gun to test the servos and I'm glad I did: it saved me hours of aggravation. The verdict: FRONT SERVO INOPERABLE. The cause(s):1) Missing a seal ring (the small one nearest the top) and 2)stuck in the bore due to insufficient lubrication. You see I rebuilt the thing in March as part of a project to put my 1977 Dodge B200 van together from scratch, but I didn't get the thing running until June. 3 months of improper storage allowed the petroleum jelly to get really sticky. The solution, put the ring on (I was wondering why I had so many extra parts in my rebuild kit!), and generously lube the servo bore. Now good as new. Thanks everyone for all the help. Now I start on my 73 which will be a performance buildup and my daily driver for the next few years at least. So I'll be back soon.