Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-14-2000, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

Question

hey everybody, earlier this year i aquired a 1978 volare coupe. it has a 225 super six and a three speed automatic. after some growing pains common to a car which had been sitting in a barn for ten years without moving(animals in the engine and ductwork) i came out with a low milage (55K) MOPAR. currently im working on a dual intake system using a air cleaner pirated from a dodge aspen. the question i have is how can i upgrade the six (im sticking with the leaning tower of power) on a budget, being new to this i dont know too much about how to do this. a dual exashst is in the works after the intake is finished. other than that im lost help please.
Old 08-14-2000, 03:56 AM
Inactive User

Just find a Super Six intake, run a set of dual headers, find a moderate street grind cam and lifters. You can mill the head a bit, gasket match the manifolds to the ports and bolt it all together. I think you can run a V8 Carter BBD or Holley 2280 2 barrel and pick up a little bit more power there. This should get you about 140 rear wheel hp. Check out Tim and Speedy's Slant Six page topic here on the performance talk forum for a lot more tricks and tips. I know you can make a lot of decent power out of the /six but it will cost you. Build yours up until you can get the money for a decent small block project would be my opinion. cruzerjd
Old 08-14-2000, 06:59 AM
Inactive User

My first car was a 70 duster 225 with a 3 on the tree. I had to put a 8 3/4 in it with 391 but later changed to 323. I found the 2bbl intake and carb at the pick and pull,I noteced a good deal more power. what helped was the hood scoop and open air cleaner. If you have lean burn system and no smog laws then you should change to a orange box and chang out the distribetr to one with a spring kit installed.
Old 08-14-2000, 03:10 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

thanks guys also i would like to switch the supension over to shocks if i could any ideas