Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-23-2001, 09:19 PM
Inactive User

Hi all,

i recently put my battery in the trunk. this weekend was the first time that i ran my duster at night. everything was humming along fine, but i got to the track, and could not start my car after i went through tech. it jumped just fine, and i had it running for a little while but the battery did not get me home. i checked the altenator, and it's cranking about 14.5 and i replaced the voltage regulater. has anyone been through this b4? will the stock altenator charge a battery in the trunk?
Old 04-26-2001, 04:54 AM
Inactive User

Trunk mounted batteries need special attention when it comes to type of wire and connections. With the wire a small guage 00,0,01 is the best to use. The number of strands or wire is also important. The more the better. I have some welding wire laying around that is 1 guage but has only 19 strands. The wire I used on my car has at least 100. Electricity runs along the outer edge of a strand of wire so more strands, more current flow. I use copper crimpable lugs as connectors but instead if crimping them I fill the lug with solder about 3/4 full. Clamped in a vise facing up and using a propane torch. I then trim the insulation back about 3/4 inch and tin it also with the torch. Pro's have a small cup of melted solder that they dip the end into to tin it but if you are careful you can do without. Slip a peice of heat shrink tubing over the wire and out of the way of heat and then cook the lug till melted and jamb the wire into the lug. This makes the best contact and will not corrode on the inside. Heat shrink makes it look like a pro job.
I also run a 6 guage wire from the battery negative up to the block. A unibody car relys on spot welded panels to transfer the ground current back to the battery. Sometimes these welds are not in the greatest shape so this extra wire makes a good circuit. I hook mine up to the block along with the original negative battery cable hooked to a battery post into a hole next to the square hole under where the old tray used to be. you can still use the wire from the headlight/ front wiring.
With the car off check the battery voltage and then move foreward and check to the starter relay. If there is a drop in voltage you have a bad connection somewhere. If the voltage is good at the front of the car then you may have a short somewhere. Check the fuseable links and all battery connections. The stock alternator should put out enough for your car.
I might sound like I am babbbbaling but I had a battery melt down into a 3 volt steaming, bubbling mess from a bad connection once. Hope this helps a little. If you want pictures of my setup let me know.