Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-23-2001, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

Anyone ever had the problem of oil in the valley pan? I put an edel performer rpm on and I have bee getting oil in the valley pan. I can't tell where it's coming from. If anyone has had this problem leave me a mess. I'll drive it and then the oil's there idling I can't see a thing.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:30 PM

I had the valley pan gasket crack under the intake , also I have seen them leak on the corners and around the heat cross over ports . Is it alot of oil? The valley pan that cracked leaked more and more as the crack grew from the vibration.
Old 04-24-2001, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

I had one leak around the intake bolt holes. The next gasket I put some silicone around each hole. Also on the entire gasket surface, not just around the ports.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:15 AM
Inactive User

Cool I know what you mean...

Mr. Belve,
I'm currently wrestling with this very same problem. Once I cleaned all of the manifold and head surfaces, I just laid the bare intake (Torker II) on the motor, lined it up, and ran down a bolt at each corner snug. Then I broke out the feeler gauges, and, lo and behold, the mating surfaces aren't parallel. Like, I did some math and discovered that my intake (a virgin piece - never been milled or anything) gasket surface is off by 2 degrees. What this means is when I would torque down my bolts, the top one-third of my gasket would seal, but the bottom portion wouldn't compress enough, so I was oiling my intake valves constantly. What does this mean? Check and correct your intake sealing surface angles or it ain't ever gonna seal up right.

I purchased a simple tool store angle finder, and I'm going to check the sealing surface on my heads too, just to make sure nothing funny is going on there. Theoretically, this thing should seal very well once I've got everything parallel. I'm also going to construct an Indy-style valley cover that doesn't sandwich between the intake and cylinder heads - just a nice simple gasket - to insure that no oil can enter the intake ports.
Good luck

PS: I'm currently drawing up a schematic showing the correct geometry for a big block, for reference when checking angles. I'll e-mail it to anyone who wants one.
Old 04-24-2001, 04:25 PM
Inactive User

I would also check your distributor gasket. I had a leak on my old 440 & the only way I could explain it was going down the road or caused by the fan blowing the oil from around the dist. into the valley pan. New gasket for distributor, no more blown around oil. Worth a try on your motor.