Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-24-2001, 10:20 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

well.. after consulting Watson and Holmes im thinking the slip in my 727automatic tranny is the torque converter... its acting like the pressure plate in a standard when its about to go... she shifts tight and runs well.. but if i put any GO GO juice she slips the motor revs up then she grabs.its cammed with a nice Holly 750Double Pumper. ... soo... Im thinking i should change my torque converter... Any suggestions on replacing it..? stay stock? Is there a special one i want? And other than droppin my tranny, am I going to have to open it up?

if its not my torque converter then what?
me and my 73 Charger certainly appreciate your oppinions...
Old 04-25-2001, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

i dont think you have a bad torque converter , it sounds more like worn bands and clutches to me. did this just start happening ? do you know if the trans has been rebuilt in the last 25000 to 50000 miles? as far as putting in a hi stall speed converter , if your after performance i would do it . it really improves acceleration . and it isnt too bad of a job , only dropping the trans to the floor and pulling the converter and putting in the new one. you dont really go into the transmission. well i hope this helps out.
Old 04-25-2001, 02:28 PM
Inactive User

Post tell me more

ohhh.. tranny bands.. really.. tell me more

no i dont know that it has been rebuilt in the last 50,000...

high stall speed torque converter does sound like a good idea any how...

What am i looking at for tranny bands..
Old 04-25-2001, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

It may be as simple as adjusting the bands. Drop the traney pan and check,loosen lock nut , tighten stud to 14 in pounds , back stud out 2 turns and tighten lock nut. follow this procedure for the band adjustment on the outside of traney as well. Double check kick down linkage is properly adjusted aswell. If it is not , it will cause slippage from lack of inturnal pressure. If it is time for a rebuild, you would be amazed at how simple it is to do. TCI makes the most kick butt converters for my dollar, make sure to by one that stalls about 500 rpm's or so above where the cam starts to make power. If it starts makeing power at 1500 by a 2000 stall. This will guarantee the motor is always makeing good power. A good rebuild kit for the traney is only 90 dollars or so at the local parts mart. And its no harder to do then changeing brake pads. That is bacsicly all that is , a brake.
Old 04-27-2001, 05:01 AM
Inactive User

A bad converter does slip and grab. More like a Forward clutch if it happens in more than one gear.