Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Wheels & Tires Forum...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-01-2001, 08:28 AM
islcuda

Angry

Hello everyone, well here goes, a freind gave me some centerline rims for my 73 barracuda, 15 by 8,s, to put slicks on at the track. I ordered hoosier slicks 26 by 15 by 9. Then ordered mopar heavy duty springs for my car and installed them. Well they lowered my car. Then slicks come and I mount them. They look great on the car but I can,t even get a finger between outer panel and the tire, so I know they will rub when I punch it at the track. These rims have a backspacing of 4 1/4 which isn,t enough as there is 1 3/4 inches of room between spring and the tire. But to go cheap right know I,m gonna re arch the springs 1 1/2 inches, do you guys think this will be enough? I put 14,s on and raised the body 1 1/2 inches and the car will sit level again. My goal is to go to 15 inch weld wheels all the way around for evey day driving but you know money thing right know. I figure this is my cheapest and eisiest root for know. My concern is will this raise it enough or should I raise it further by re arching springs more than 1 1/2 inches. I will also have to go to super stock springs down the road so if re arching these springs wears them out quicker, who cares. How much do cars usually sit down when you punch it. I have 340 auto with about 400 horse, but these slicks I know will give me great traction. Thanks guys. Tim
Old 05-03-2001, 01:27 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Tim, one cheap fix you might look into would be to swap in a rear end housing from a 68 thru 70 B body (I'm assuming you're running an 8&3/4 rear). I've done this on both of my Cuda's, and it gives you about another 3/4" clearance on each side. The B body housings are pretty easy to find (make sure you get the axles too!) You'll have to weld new spring perches on, but other than that it's a bolt in.