Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-24-2000, 03:02 PM
Inactive User

Question

Hello Every one,
My question is have a 68 Charger with 440 engine, "was 318", All balls joints were replaced shortly befor I purchased the car,
Having unacceptable tire wear on the front end, car needs to be aligned, but also was mentioned that I should get new torsion bars, mechanic told me that the ones in the car now are set a maximum.

Will changing the torsion bars along with an aligment improve overall, steering and control? The Torsion bars are .920 Dia currently, was looking at moving up to .960 Dia,

how diffcult are Torsion Bars to install?
Can it be done by an Amatuer? just bolting them in to place and then let a mechnic set then to the proper height?

I am on a limited budget since still having to make monthly payments for this car of my dreams,

Also were is the best place to buy the Torsion Bars Year One?

thanks for your help

Old 08-24-2000, 04:37 PM
Inactive User

sublimecharger68,
Replacing torsion bars isn't all that difficult. I did it awhile back on my '69 Bee. If I remember correctly you just need to put the car in the air and support it at the frame rails, take the tension off each bar by backing off the adjusting bolt in the lower control arm (each side/bar has one),then at the back of each bar is a clip that you need to compress and remove. The torsion bar can then be removed towards the rear of the car. Sometimes they're a little stubburn to break loose.
To install you basically do the same thing in reverse. I'd recommend that you use some heavy grease on the ends of the new bars. You'll want to make sure that the old boots are in good condition too, if not, replace them. As for the height of the car is concerned, you can do that yourself, by turning in the adjusting bolt on the lower control arm. The more you turn it in, the higher the car will set. You can experiment with this. I suggest you buy a factory repair manual for your Charger. Year One has them. I also see used ones at the auto swapmeets. They really come in handy!
When it comes to how the car handles (steering and control as you put it), if you want it to handle well on the highway you need to make sure that your rear springs match the torsion bars. The size of the front swaybar on your car comes into play too. If you upgrade from a 318 torsion bar to say a 440 bar without upgrading your rear springs, the car may understeer quite a bit. Not good for handling.
The bars, springs, and swaybar must compliment one another.
You may want to keep it simple and go with the setup the factory used on the 440 Chargers.
Yes, Year One sells the bars, but I bet you could find some good used 440 torsion bars and swaybar, then go with new 440 springs for the rear. The last time I bought new rear springs they weren't that costly. I think I bought mine from Hardens Muscle Car Parts.
While you're at it you really should replace the upper and lower control arm bushings unless you know them to be good.
Hope this helps!
P.S. Go buy that factory manual for your Charger. It'll be worth it, especially if you plan to keep your car and work on it yourself.