Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-03-2001, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

Has anyone here used that pertronix igniter taht takes the place of points in the distributor and all you need is a power wire to the coil and then to the dist. I hate mopar electronic ignition with all the stuff that goes bad in it it makes it very undependable. My engine builder told me about it yesterday and it sounds to good to be true. He runs it in his enduro car that has a 14 to 1 460 in it and it runs good. Jegs sells this little gizmo for 72$ and that alone is cheaper than a new distributor. Now add in the ballast resiter and ignition box and wiring it is a no brainer. Now around the middle of the season when the supid box goes out ,and dont tell me they dont, that is more money. I have a lot of points distributors and I think it is the ticket. so has anyone used this or am I the test mule. I think that having to only run a power wire to the coil is a major benefit.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:27 AM
Inactive User

I have run a mallory dual point dist. for 3 seasons with no problem other than the usual ballast resistor going out. I too am interested in the petronics point replacement points replacement module, however I think I will bring along my spare points distributor just in case.

Its hard for me to give up the points setup i have no trouble. Whats funny to me is that everyone raves about the advantages of MSD and the like. My question is if this is such a quality setup then how come most of the guys you see running electronice ignition have a spare box mounted in the car with a switch, while Iam still running points with no problem ?