Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-25-2000, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

Angry

I've had a miss in my RR ever since I bought it in 99. I've always supected the ignition. It has recently gotten worse so I torn into my engine wiring today. Im running a chrome box with a dual ballast with a single pickup coil. I traced the wires today and wanted to see if this sounded right. It appears to be using a MP conversion wiring harness.
I have two feeds coming from the ignition switch. 1 feed wire goes to + side of accel coil, then to ballast plug, then off the bottom of the plug to grn wire/red stripe of ECU which has no connection in a chrome box....The other feed wire goes to a splice point, it goes to 1 side of field alt coil,another wire off the splice goes to Volt Reg plug then out of the plug to other side of field coil on alt, off the splice it also goes to ballast plug which has a jumper wire to bottom of ballast then travels to lt blue wire/yellow stripe of ECU plug. The only other wire used is blk/yellow stripe which goes to - side of accel coil. The ECU plug has two other wires which go to the pkp coil on the dist which is a no brainer. Okay after that long discription does that sound right? What's the deal with the unused wire on the ECU, would that cause a skip. I also did a search on this topic before I posted today and I read some complaints on Autometer tachs causing a skip.. Has anyone had problems with those tachs....I using one and it was bouncing all over the place last night when the engine was showing out. I was running 60mph tach was at 2800 rpms, then it would bounce to 3/4 grand and back down. However when I kicked the gas it would respone at the correct RPM. Do you think it's the problem. The tach was also connected to the neg side of the coil wire at the ECU plug.

Any suggestions?
Rob
Old 08-26-2000, 01:12 AM

It sounds like you need a wiring diagram for the electronic ignition, so you can check yours. I remember seeing one on the web a few months ago, but could not find it right now.

The green wire with the red stripe is not used with the current orange or chrome box. The black wire goes to the negative side of the coil. The blue wire (sometimes with yellow stripe) gets power from the ignition switch usually at the ballast resistor before the power goes through the resistor.

A big issue with the ECU is that it must have a good ground to the box metal. Clean your ground connection (usually just the mounting screw) and try again.

Good Luck,

------------------
440 Jim
E-Body Fish