Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-15-2000, 02:05 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Does anybody know where I could find either a inline or staggered 2x4 intake top for a STR15. This intake is for a low block and The STR 14 top won't fit. HELP BILL.

------------------
Old 08-16-2000, 04:44 AM

This is an interesting manifold but in back to back tests on my 383 - I found that the Edelbrock Trantula outperformed the STR every time.
Old 08-17-2000, 04:58 AM

Make one out of 3/8 aluminum plate. Nice straight cuts, nothing fancy. I made a top for my STR-12 from a plexiglass template. Cut it out, drill down through the mounting holes and trace the inside of a spreadbore to holley adaptor, spreadbore side down, onto the template. Youll need these for linkage clearance. Drill out mounting holes, and cut out your spreadbore patterns. When all is to your satisfaction, transfer all cuts to aluminum top. You can make any type of carb setup like this. I have a 2x4 stagger, and a single center 4 setup. There used to be a 3x2 top for Hollys and diagonal Webers, and Ive even seen a 4x2 side draft Weber setup with the carbs over the valve covers, WOW! As for performance over a single 4 single plane setup? I dont think it will beat it. But for eye candy, Its a real treat.
Oh yeah, drill one more hole for a freeze plug, or a check valve of some sort. youll want this to blow before your whole top buckles when you get a backfire in that huge plenum. This happened with my first 1/4 inch top.

[This message has been edited by pishta (edited August 17, 2000).]
Old 08-24-2000, 12:32 AM
Inactive User

Question

could someone tell me whats the difference between a STR-14 and a STR-15?and now i see pishta talk about a STR-12.i never heard of it
Old 08-24-2000, 04:45 AM
Inactive User

Pretty sure one is hi-deck and one is low-deck. Not real sure about the STR-12, my guess its a typo unless they made one for the smallblock. The Dodge and Plymouth Nascar teams used the RB version in the early 70's after the the Hemi's were restricted down to 1 1/8 restrictors in the Dominator carbs. True wedges had no restrictions so the Mopar racers modified the Hemi block,since they were resticted to 430 CI and filled in the top row of stud holes and re-drilled for the top row of wedge head bolts, brazed up some water passages and oil drainback holes and totally dominated the July Daytona race in 1972 or 73,finsihed 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, and big percentage of top 20. These manifolds were initially designed for sustained RPM, much like the big Nascar tub Hemi intakes, didn't have much throttle response, especially with an unrestricted Dominator but they did work on the superspeedways. Unfortunately Nascar did what they do best and legislated the combination into oblivion, slapping some restrictors on them too. It was also unfortunate for Edelbrock since they no longer had much market for an unusual design. Agree with pishta and AZ, a good modern day single plane will out perform it but you gotta remember how old a design it is and what it was originally intended for.
Still a neat looking manifold though, some of the older Mopar books had diagrams for building air dams around some of the runners to help equalize air flow.

Ronny
Waymaker Racing
John 14:6
Old 08-24-2000, 05:21 AM
Inactive User

23T,thanks for the info,but witch one is for the RB.ive been looking for one of those for a while.how do ya like the bowtie/blue oval motto...IF YOU BEAT EM,BAN EM
Old 08-24-2000, 07:38 AM
Inactive User

I think (but definitely not sure, but Lancer's original post would indicate..) the 14 was the hi-deck version and the 15 was the low-deck. Have to agree on the motto, in fact it's the second verse of the Mopar National Anthem.

I just looked it up in the big book, above info is correct. Also the STR-12 does exist for small-block.

[This message has been edited by 23T-Wedge (edited August 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 23T-Wedge (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old 08-24-2000, 03:28 PM
Inactive User

23T,thanks for clearing this up for me.now i know for sure what to look for
Old 08-26-2000, 02:35 AM
Inactive User

I understand that the STR in not the greatest but ////// I have the base with no top for it . I am going to run nostaglic super stock next year and I need a 2x4 intake for a B block (low deck) inline is fine. any suggestions.
Old 08-26-2000, 04:20 AM
Inactive User

Lancer,
Pishta probably has the best idea, as rare as that manifold is, the chances of finding a top have got to be pretty slim. You could make an inline top or a cross-ram, you may have to overlap your baseplate slightly but I think it will work, I know the lowdeck manifold isn't as wide as the hi-deck. You might want to check out this site http://www.drag.race-cars.com
put in a wanted ad, never know, there might be one lurking out there somewhere. Good Luck,

Ronny
Waymaker Racing
John 14:6

Old 08-26-2000, 05:12 AM
Inactive User

there was a guy on e-bay selling a single 2bbl top for a '14 or '15 i forget now.i would think that big intake would hurt that little 2bbl.
Old 08-26-2000, 05:34 AM
Inactive User

The STR 12 is definitely for the small block motor. Had two of 'em but never ran 'em, got hung up on building a linkage for them, til I figured out after I sold them that I could probably have just run two throttle cables. DOH! Most of those STR's had distribution problems - fuel would puddle up and foul plugs in certain cylinders. Ever hear of adding 'popsicle sticks' to these manifolds? The old DC books describe building little dams to catch the puddles.