Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-19-1999, 04:45 AM
Inactive User

I was planning on buying a MSD 6AL for my 400 I was finishing. Do any of you have these? I want to know if you still need the factory ignition unit, or if the MSD is stand alone without the other box. Thanks

Chris
Old 12-19-1999, 05:27 AM
Inactive User

The MSD 6AL is, to me, well worth the money. The improvements are many, with better driveability, easier starting, more power, less plug fouling, more mileage, etc. Not to mention the built in Soft Touch rev limiter. I run 6AL's on all my cars and trucks and with MSD wires and a Blaster 2 or 3 coil, they are awesome. The only problem I ever had was that MSD units will burn up a cheap set of plug wires in a hurry. I went through 3 sets of Autolite wires before I broke down and bought the MSD wires and had no further trouble. In answer to your question, no the Mopar ECU is no longer needed but I leave them on, and unplugged as a back up system. I do it more out of habit than anything as I have over 20,000 miles on one 6AL with no trouble at all. I recommend the MSD stuff highly!
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-19-1999, 06:25 AM
Inactive User

MSD units are great for the track,lately I've seen alot of failures in street apps.Why?too close to heat source,make sure you mount it in a cool place like inside the vehicle is best,I have a friend with a 12 sec mustang that has had so many failures that I wired up a Chrysler ECU for back(just like Elwenil)and just out of curiosity at the track one day we switched it..guess what it ran identical times!!! I'm not saying there aren't benefits from an MSD but flat out performance in this particular app didn't net any gains,mpg maybe,a more complete burn maybe but apparently not in the 1/4 mi this time.....PRO..
Old 12-19-1999, 06:42 AM
Inactive User

I never had one fail, but then I always mounted mine in a safe spot. I read the instructions, honest! My partner in crime with the 383 engined 70 Duster 340 I've been running off at the mouth about, sweared that the Mopar Performance chrome ECU did as well as the MSD 6AL. He thought he got more RPM out of the chrome box, but after 8000 what more do you need? We did some testing and the chrome box did really well, but it definately doesn't last long on the street. The orange ECU did ok, but there was a noticeable difference in "seat-of-the-pants" feel. At least the orange box will last a lot longer. At any rate we hooked the MSD 6AL back up because the 383 seemed to start a lot better and the rev limiter is hard to beat. I'm interested to see if anyone else has done any such comparisons. Anyone?
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~

[This message has been edited by Elwenil (edited December 19, 1999).]
Old 12-19-1999, 07:05 AM

I don't have any street experience with the MSD 6AL, except for the time I drove the Duster (open headers) back from the car show one day.

I do however have quite a bit of racing experience with the 6AL. I have two, one is a backup. I sold my third one to the guy in the Duster when I sold him my backup 360.

I originally ran a chrome box like you have mentioned. It worked well with the low compression 340 that I used when I started racing mods. When I switched to a high compression 360(12.2:1), I started having problems. I couldn't get the engine to rev above 6400 rpm. I tried different gear ratios and still 6400. I tried different coils, caps, wires, etc. Nothing worked. Then I tried the MSD 6AL. I was banging the rev limiter (7000) in hot laps.

It was the last night of the regular season, and I had to start in the back of the feature. I worked my way from 22nd to 7th when the trans went to 2nd and wouldn't shift up on a restart about 5 laps from the end.

I had a hard time passing people at the beginning of the feature. Then a guy screwed up in front of me and I had to lift part way. I shot by him like he was standing still. I had been spinning the tires all race and didn't realize it! That is how much difference the new ignition made on my car.
Old 12-19-1999, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

I kind of like hte MSD. I have the 6AL and the programmable timing computer in my Dart, and have had no problems with it. The Multi Spark really makes a difference in how the car idles with a hot cam, a lot smoother. One nice feature is that if it breaks, it's easily repairable for someone who knows the basics in electronics. I have the Crane Hi6 in the Valiant, and I have killed two Accel 300+ boxes in the Dart because of my own stupidity, they both work OK (if used properly) but I still like the MSD most.
Old 12-19-1999, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

I've never used the 6AL,just the 6A.It never gave me a problem.The reason why I used it was I had a old Accel BEI system in the Road Runner and the control box would have to warm up to start the car.It was just a old unit and was getting on it's last legs.The MSD unit had a adapter to plug into the BEI distributor.Afterwards,I changed the system over to the Chrysler system with the Gold Box ECU,and it ran just as good as the MSD.
Old 12-19-1999, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I too am thinking about switching to an MSD and was wondering if the wiring is as easy as it sounds (especially leaving my current system intact). Can anybody enlighten me? I heard there is an adapter kit, but I will most likely buy an ex-NASCAR unit from a friend I know. He's a "professional swap meeter, who buys upwards of 200 used NASCAR ones a year, tests them, an dre-sells them for about $90 for an MSD6T (circle track part - tougher shock resistant parts I guess). Most everybody knows that NASCAR teams use 2 MSD's in their cars, and PITCH tehm after only one race!!

I run a chrome box now, and would like to try timing tricks a buddy was been raving about (someting like 55 degrees advanced) and he said it would only start this way with an MSD not a chrome box ignition.

This was one of the recommendations my "Stock" class buddy who set the National record in GT/SA and FT/SA consecutive years, who on pass he went a 12.39 in a 4000 pound 1980 dodge truck!!
Old 12-19-1999, 09:18 PM
Inactive User

The wiring for an MSD 6 series ignition system is simple. If run a points distributor it's a snap, and with electronic it's only a few more wires. I haven't bought one for a while, but I do believe they have a more user friendly "plug-in" model now, but I haven't seen it. After installing one, you will see how simple it really was. The wiring diagrams look a little confusing at first, but they really aren't that bad. Understanding that how the MSD works helps out a lot. Oh, and I have run MSD on both points and electronic distributors, and the only differences to me were the extra adjustments needed to a stock points distributor and a little less RPM. I think the RPM loss was just the usual "point float" but that was only after 6500. I have met few people who weren't satisfied with their MSD, and when I do, I buy their's, lol!
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-20-1999, 05:17 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Hey Dartman, I could go for one of those $90 MSDs if your friend has an extra one! Heck, I'd even go $100 if you want to make a little on the deal.
Old 12-20-1999, 04:05 PM
Inactive User

Just in case you don;t have experience with the MSD6T models for circle track, they DO NOT have the soft touch rev limiter in them. This guy however, does have the add on modelule for rev limiters for about $10 or $20 more (but he doesn't have too many).

The guy that actually has them is called R.A. Benson Motorsports, located at 454 S. Henderson Street in Galesburg Illinios. His number is (309) 343-0375. My friend Gary "Snag" Meyers, works for him off and on at swapmeets and parts runs. Tell him that a friend of Snag's told you about him, so at least that way he can get some credit for any sales. Hopefully you can work out shipping payment and other issues with him.

RA Benson is kind of a professional "swap meeter" who specializes in parts for stock cars (ie 90% Chevy).

My friend went with them about a month ago to North Carolina where they bought used parts from Earnhart, Chad Little and other stock car teams - you guys probably know which ones are based out of NC.
Old 08-25-2000, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

i have the msd 6 box on a /6! it works pretty well. this is one of the former winston cup boxes. it says GM heavy duty v8 ignition, serviced and upgraded by nelson specialties, but is none the less, an msd 6 box. i have the add on soft touch rev limiter also (6500 chip for this particular slant) and a nelson motorsport coil. i drive this car every day on the street and have had no probs. one caution, dont use cheap wires, caps, or rotors. a cheap cap will burn up on my car in 2 days!
Old 08-27-2000, 05:07 PM
Inactive User

The factory electronic distributor is a very good piece,however the rest of it is crap,in a oval track application,we have had the chrome box failed repeatedly,we have done away with all of it except for the distributor,we run an msd 6nt,which is a shock proofed for severe oval track racing.but would rcommend 6al for every day application,however need to mount inside the car in a protected area.the system is very reliable,and would also recommend very good quality wires,cheap ones will failed prematurely.
Old 08-31-2000, 02:53 AM
Electrician Dude

I've never had a plug wire fail, what happens?

------------------
  • 1969 Plymouth GTX
  • 2000 Dodge Neon
Old 08-31-2000, 04:08 AM
Inactive User

I have been looking on e bay for deals on the MSD boxes for 2 mos, however, it looks like people are bidding more or exacly what they cost brand new. Summit appears to have the best deal, but why are people buying used at new prices???

No deals for MSD's on ebay I guess.
Also, consult local speed shops who may have remanufactured boxes for cheaper prices and still have lifetime guarantee...