Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-11-2001, 06:53 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I have a 2k 5.9 R/T Durango, i am ready to purchase a supercharger, my local speed shop tells me i should go with the Kennebell, and other supercharger owners are telling me to go with the vortech, i hear that the KB has a heat problem, but deliver loads of torque through all ranges, and i hear Vortech is quiet but does not deliver the amount of torque in low, mid , just higher rmp's... I know the KB is roots or a screw style and the Vortech is a centrifical..... I would like to herar from people who know or have these styls and give me some feed back so i know wich one to purchase.....

Thanks in advance Bob
Old 05-11-2001, 08:02 AM
Banned

Thumbs up bob

post this? on ram page- several guys have sc'ers there-phil
Old 05-11-2001, 09:50 AM
Inactive User

I would recommend the Kenne Bell if you are going to leave the rest of the motor alone. If you plan future cam, head, intake manifold or other changes I would use one of the others. The low end on the Kenne Bell is awesome and that is where most of the driving is done, below 4000 rpm.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

No, i only plan on the supercharger at this point and time , i have done all the mods i want to so far (see signature below) and i think the S/C will be plenty..

P.S. i just want to hang with the furd GT's and some of the ricer wanabe's LOL.... But with the mods i have now and then adding a S/C, i think ill have the right combo.....

Thanks Bob
Old 05-11-2001, 07:22 PM
WILL 98' slt blk 4x4

DSUVR/T, your not afraid that the engine might give out?
I want to do the same thing w/ my D.
I plan on doing afew other things to it before supercharging though.
I sure dont want to pay for another engine.

But I would love to see results.
I hope the engine holds up for you

WILL
Old 05-14-2001, 09:28 AM
Inactive User

I think that you should look at the powerdyne unit, it's sealed (not requiring an oil supply from the engine, amking it run cooler), and easy to install. A lot of Durango owners have chosen to go this route.

Check out their website: http://www.powerdyne.com/
Old 05-14-2001, 03:41 PM
Inactive User

Bob, good luck with your Kennebell. I hope it is what you were looking for. Paxton has also recently introduced a blower, runs off a seperate 8-rib drive belt, and has a return line fuel system. PLus, right from the factory, i beleive they are 9psi(cant remember). If you havent already ordered it, check out www.performanceinjection.com, and send them an email, and he should be able to tell you about it. Later.
Old 05-17-2001, 02:10 AM
Inactive User

Vortech or Paxton are good! Vortech 8-psi Paxton 8-10 psi Both can be upgraded to about 16 or so
Old 05-17-2001, 02:12 AM
Inactive User

If you dont want the engine to gewt ****** just put on a set of Fel-Pro 1008 head gaskets! You will also need a MSD-6BTM ignition, free-flow exhaust, & TB. Thats to run it with as little accessories as possible to keep the engine up.
The 360 needs to be worked on (Bottom end) if you really want to run more than 7-8 psi
Old 05-17-2001, 06:54 AM
Inactive User

Thanks guys, i am only going to be running 6-8 lbs of boost. to ba honest i may go to the track just to see how fast she will run, other that that i just want to hang with the mustang GT's and others in that calibor, u know i want to see there chins in there laps as i hang door to door from light to light.... I dont how , it must be the R/T badging that makes these guys and the ricers what to hava at it, the ricers are really funny though, i have a hard time in laughing at them when they pull up and rev there little sewing machines engines. But anyway its the big boys i want to hang with... LOL thats what i want the blower for, plus the wife wants a camper and i want a boat, so the extra power for towing will be nice... Again guys thatks for the help....

Bob
Old 05-17-2001, 12:42 PM
Inactive User

Good luck bob!!! If you dont want to do the head gaskets yourself, i would pay someone to do it, its gonna cost a pretty penny, but it will make up for it when you dont have to worry about it at all. Keep detonation at a minimum, and you will be OK!! Later.
Old 05-17-2001, 04:30 PM
Inactive User

Anthony, thanks, i think ill go with the felpro gaskets, do u have a stock # i think above post had one ill have to check, ill catch up to ya later ....

Bob
Old 05-17-2001, 04:34 PM
Inactive User

The number for the Fel Pro's is 1008
Old 05-17-2001, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

Bob, they are the 1008, they are for older mopars, but they still work. The only thing really different is that they dont have the alignment tabs on the gasket like the stock ones do to line up the intake manifold runner gaskets. Cut the heads off two of the old intake bolts, and use them as guides when you put the intake back on so the gaskets dont slide. Put a dab of RTV sealant in the rubber dowel holes for the front and back rubber intake gaskets. im pretty sure kenne bell sends the steel wire backed plenum gasket with their kit, i would call to make sure. Pick up and Factory service manual so you can get the torque specs and sequences for the bolts. Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally posted by DSUV59RT
Anthony, thanks, i think ill go with the felpro gaskets, do u have a stock # i think above post had one ill have to check, ill catch up to ya later ....

Bob
Old 05-17-2001, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

Your the man Anthony, thanks , your advice has always been taken and always correct, so I'll do the preventive maintenance and do it right the first time, thanks again......

Bob
Old 05-19-2001, 04:21 PM
Inactive User

The Kenne Bell superchargers NEVER put out the amount of hp they were supposed to for the 360. This is why for the Super Pursuit II they used the ATI blowers. But those were proven to start fires so now they use Powerdyne.
Powerdyne is good if you dont want more than 6-lbs of boost. If you want more go with Vortech or Paxton. But you can run the Powerdyne with more boost.
The Kenne Bell supercharger is not as good as many people will say. Some of the fastest Dakota R/Ts that run 13's or lower are running Powerdyne, or Vortech. And the new Paxton just came out recently for the 2000 aplication. There is a group buy on the Dak R/T board for $3,500. Otherwise you will have to pay $4,100.
but overall, the Kenne Bell, sucks. If you want to keep up with the Furd Shitstains you should run:

MP PCM
Fastman TB
Headers
180 T-Stat
Free-Flow Exhaust
Supercharger (Powerdyne, Paxton or Vortech) (6-lb + of boost)
MSD Ignition
Stickier Rubber (Alot of People like Nittos)
Mopar M1 Intake Manifold
And more....

You just need to remember that many of the Shitstains are modified. You will rarely find stock ones at the track.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:17 PM
Inactive User

For the most part you are right, but, he is going to be towing also, the KB blower is going to benefit him better. I cant knock Kenne Bell, because i have never seen one on a truck, or seen one run with one. From what i have heard, they require a lot of tuning, but for the most part they are a very complete kit.

The ATI is really no different, they require tuning also, but once tuned, are excellent blowers. ATI themslelves dont make a kit for the dakota, GWP makes the mounting kit for the dakotas, and makes the proper routing for the intercooler.

Any blower you get is going to need some type of tuning, the manufacturers make it sound like they are bolt on and go, which you can do, but if you want the most performance for the money you pay, you are going to have to fiddle with it for a whileto get things right.

How were they ATI's causing fires? I have never heard that before, were they blowing fuel lines, that is the only way i can see them causing some type of fire.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:26 PM
Inactive User

Nothing is just a straight bolt-on to get performance, they all require time or tweeking. The Kenne Bells run slow in the 1/4th's. The SP360 only did a what 15! That is absolutly disgusting! Most other blowers will take you lower. Im not saying that with Vortech, Paxton or Powerdyne they will require NO tweeking. You will have to play around with timing or get a custom flash by Mike Leach, and still you want a Retard system. With anysupercharger you will need to play around with it. You will also need to get a 7-rib pulley if you dont want to have any slippage. Since they give you and 8-rib one!
I have not personally seen a KB on a D or Dak but I have talked to ppl that have and they say that they run slow in the 1/4 and they do not produce 360 rwhp as they say and the 400 rwtq as they say they do.
I say just stick to Paxton, Vortech or Powerdyne. ATI is a fairly good one, but their have been some problems with them but the ones that work run low 13's!
Old 05-20-2001, 09:21 PM
Inactive User

Gentlemen:

As the owner of a 98 DAK, 5 spd. w/ a Kenne Bell, let me relate my experiences.

I have a Kenne Bell w/ the Big Gulp option. I have to agree that it does not produce the 100 extra hp or torque that they advertise. I would say it is closer to 75.

The Big Gulp option helped some, especially w/ drivability. It is primarily a larger tb and cold air intake. They also reflash the "optimizer" control unit up to 9 lbs. boost.

Other than less than advertized power the only other complaint I can report is a lean burn "bump" just as boost is coming on. There is a fix for that on the web site of Bernd (the guy who developed the IAS modifer) that I have not tried yet.

If you want power starting at 2K then go with KB. If you want higher end power then one of the centrifical s/c's would probably be better.

If you want to search the other DAK sites you will find several people who can report experiences with most of the available s/c's.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-21-2001, 12:45 AM
Inactive User

Just about no one on the Dak R/T board has a KB? For the reasons that 75 hp is crap? Vortech advertises 95 which is actually low! ATI advertises 140 which is a bit high! And I forget about Powerdyne, but 75 is a waste of money for a supercharger expecially when it doesnt hold up as well as it should!
Old 05-21-2001, 08:27 AM
Inactive User

I have over 29,000 miles on my Kenne Bell supercharger without a problem. When I first put the kit on, my engine was totally stock. At a 2800 ft elevation, with a club cab & 4 wheel drive, I ran a 15.77 @ 84.59 mph. My 60 ft time was 2.161 and I would have been faster except for uncontrollable tire spin. On the street where the traction is better this truck was even faster. I think those are pretty good times for a heavy, stock 4wd truck. Since this time I have installed a new engine, intercooler, more boost and other mods. The truck is much faster now. A quick tromp of the gas to the floor at 35 mph will break the tires loose so severely that the back of the truck will slide into the adjoining lane. I have spent the past few months working with fuel problems. Unlike the centrifugal superchargers, the Kenne Bell with its instant boost needs much more fuel and needs it fast at a lower rpm. This is the tuning challenge. Right now I have a set of 30lb engine injectors w/two 83lb auxiliary injectors. I have a dyno session scheduled two weeks from now to try and do the final tuning. I will post the results soon. I'm sure they will show a large amount of low end torque, which is great for one of these large heavy trucks.
Old 05-21-2001, 03:47 PM
Inactive User

Do you have a blower? How can you make these statements when you dont even have one. This is not to start a flame i just want to know why you feel this way.
Quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw_D
Just about no one on the Dak R/T board has a KB? For the reasons that 75 hp is crap? Vortech advertises 95 which is actually low! ATI advertises 140 which is a bit high! And I forget about Powerdyne, but 75 is a waste of money for a supercharger expecially when it doesnt hold up as well as it should!
Old 05-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Inactive User

No I dont have a blower but I have researched into them and I have talked to ppl w/ them. And I am just saying what I have found out from ppl w/blowers