Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-30-2000, 01:02 AM
Inactive User

I have a battery tender that maintains the charge in a battery.I have this car I race only so I keep it on this battery tender when it's just sitting in the gargage.Anyway I go to the track Saturday the car starts fine all day,bring the car home starts fine put it in the garage on the battery tender all night you can leave it on the tender it just monitors the charge.Anyway take the car out Sunday to an all Mopar show starts fine when I put it on the trailer started fine when I took it off the trailer put it in the line up sits 5 hours starts fine drive over to the trailer shut it off to get the trailer ready car won't start.
Cranks fine but would not fire.Put a jump on the battery from a battery I carry for my just in case winch,car fires before I could finish turning the key.Had this problem before seemed the battery was to low for this electronic ignition.Question can I test the battery by grounding the coil wire holding a meter on the battery and have someone turn the key and count fifteen seconds to see if the battery can maintain at least 9.5 volts.Is this correct
Old 08-30-2000, 03:49 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Gromski, I wouldn't do it. Just pull your battery and take it to an autoparts store that does free battery checks and have them load test it. It's safer and it's free!
Old 08-30-2000, 06:52 AM
Inactive User

Hi Gromsky, had this problem recently with a small block Ramcharger. Turned out the connections at the starter were not tight enough initialy, worked themselves loose over time. It would be fine then periodically not go, sometimes seemed to drag a little. I put the new style starter in any how, but clean connection tighten nut would have done it.

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills
Old 08-30-2000, 08:24 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Now Brian, be nice. Us Plymouth owners might take offense...ha,ha,ha Now, back to the problem. I agree with Brian. I have also seen oil and dirt cause a bad connection at the starter.
Old 08-30-2000, 04:49 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Sorry, sometimes I'm a little direct, at work they say I can be coarse.LOL
Rest assured I am trying to be helpful only!

------------------
If it ain't a Dodge, it's a dog!

Brian Mills
Old 08-30-2000, 07:56 PM

Yes you could do what you have proposed. But I would just take the battery to a parts store and have them load test it. But make sure you watch them test it. Sometimes it's "bad" when it really isn't. Just a thought.
Old 08-31-2000, 09:25 AM
Inactive User

JV, I'm sorry to say you are probably right. I work for one of the large autopart retailers. I know that some guys will say that something is bad just to make a sale. I don't know why since they don't work on commision. I agree,though, watch the test be performed, and make sure they enter the correct power rating on your battery. Cranking amps and cold cranking amps are different, so watch'em! Something else, charge the battery before you have it tested. Hope it goes well. See ya!
Old 09-01-2000, 01:29 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Gromski:
I have a battery tender that maintains the charge in a battery.I have this car I race only so I keep it on this battery tender when it's just sitting in the gargage.Anyway I go to the track Saturday the car starts fine all day,bring the car home starts fine put it in the garage on the battery tender all night you can leave it on the tender it just monitors the charge.Anyway take the car out Sunday to an all Mopar show starts fine when I put it on the trailer started fine when I took it off the trailer put it in the line up sits 5 hours starts fine drive over to the trailer shut it off to get the trailer ready car won't start.
Cranks fine but would not fire.Put a jump on the battery from a battery I carry for my just in case winch,car fires before I could finish turning the key.Had this problem before seemed the battery was to low for this electronic ignition.Question can I test the battery by grounding the coil wire holding a meter on the battery and have someone turn the key and count fifteen seconds to see if the battery can maintain at least 9.5 volts.Is this correct
Ok
I just got back from having the battery tested it's ok.Remember the car was cranking
fine but would not start.Then I jumped the car because it did this no starrt to me once
before I charged it then and it started.
The last time I had this no start problem I checked for spark I'd get a spark then wouldn't get a spark car cranked fine but needed a charge to start.
Old 09-01-2000, 01:51 AM
Inactive User

Gromski, Are you saying that some times you have no spark? My first thought would be a bad connection somewhere. Since everything else seems to work OK. I would look at the starter relay since all power routes through it except the main for the starter. Good luck! Thunderhead