Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-30-2000, 01:23 AM
Inactive User

I am still fighting getting the belt driven accessories working right on my 383.
Now, my first mistake was buying an engine out of a '71 pickup without any accessories or brackets on it. When it came to bolting the power steering pump, the alternator, pulleys, fan, I had nothing to work with and really nothing to go by. Now I finally found a bracket for a power steering pump that bolts up and guess what; the pulley doesn't even come close to lining up with anything else. Everything I have is a result of swap meet and junk yard scrounging.
Nothing was matched I just put some stuff together that worked.
My first question:
On the above mentioned car with a 383, Power steering no AC, does the power steering pump belt go stright to the crank pully or around the fan pulley and crank pulley? Does the alternator belt go to the crank pulley or crank and fan pulley.
This may sound stupid but I had NO original parts to work with. The car is a 318 car and nothing would swap over from it.
The best case would be able to find a similar car with I could rob all the parts I needed and do a direct swap. Unless one of you guys has one sitting in their backyard I probably won't have any such luck.

Old 08-30-2000, 02:27 AM
Inactive User

The alternator belt goes on first and it wraps around the crank pulley, fan, and alternator. Then the pwr steering belt goes on and it just wraps around the crank pulley and pwr steering pump. The pwr steering pump should have 2 brackets and the alternator should have two also.
Old 08-30-2000, 02:44 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Doc, I agree with Bluesfool. I have the same setup in my Fury. Jst like he said. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2000, 03:15 AM

I just went through this nightmare when I transplanted a 440 without accessories into a Barracuda that was a 318.

The others have the belt routing correct. Here are the pulley dimensions I got to work. Water pump pulley is a single groove of 6-7/8 dia. with a total width of 2-11/16. Don't be fooled by small block pulleys of 6" dia, they don't clear the bolts on the big block water pump. The crank pulley is a double groove of 6-1/2 dia with a total width of 3-1/16. Both crank grooves are the same dia. but the rear groove (alt) is narrower than the front (PS) groove by one belt width size. My power steering pump measures 2-1/2 from the front of the pulley to the bracket surface that touches the front of the water pump housing.

I hope this helps. There may be more than one way to skin this cat. The correct alternator brackets are required, but I just fabricated those.

One thing to be careful of with a 383, be sure the diameters of the water pump pulley and crank pulley don't hit each other. I believe the 440 has a little more room between them.

------------------
440 Jim
E-Body Fish

[This message has been edited by 440 Jim (edited August 30, 2000).]
Old 09-01-2000, 02:47 AM
Inactive User

Thanks Jim. With all the pulley swapping and the bracket shimming (not to mention numerous cuts from the flex fan blades)you would think I would have it down to a science by now. I don't. I has everything working pretty well until I got the power steering pump bolted up. Now I have to start over. I have 3 different water pump pulleys. 2 different crank pulleys. I bought the correct alternator mounting bracket kit from Year One for my combo at $40 bux (CHA-CHING! bent metal is expensive)
I have several options I wish I would have taken advantage of earlier. I know a back woods junkyard that has a '69 Plymouth VIP (Satellite) station wagon with the exact setup I need. I hate to go out there because the last time I was there they thought because I has a descent command of the english language and all my teeth they would try to rip me off on some parts. I told them where to stick their parts. I need to quit burning bridges like that. MoPar parts are too hard to come by.
Old 09-01-2000, 02:58 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Been there..or whats even better is after you havce the parts etc..the redkneck then decides that he doesnt want to sell the parts..for some reason..OR he doesnt want to sell them that day.."its just too hot today".
Wahtever that is supposed to mean..
I hate redknecks
Maxwedge
Old 09-01-2000, 03:30 AM
Inactive User

BEEN THERE MAXWEDGE,
I went to a backwoods yard once that had SEVERAL good canadate donor cars for what I was looking for. The parts monkey was kicked back in a chair and REFUSED to sell me the parts even after I offered to pull them myself and bring them to him.
He just kept saying "Nope, don't have anything like that back there"
I just don't understand some people.
Old 09-01-2000, 08:46 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

I've been there! I think they just like having something other people want and they have the power to keep you from getting it
I love it when the part isn't for sale "that day" for any price and then you find out it sold for the price of dirt two ours later And Max, better watch out! Don't you know most people think that anybody from Indiana is a redneck! I know, I'm a Hoosier.LOL I'm just a transplant to the desert!
Old 09-01-2000, 03:41 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Hey guys

I am sorry to just find this out but maybe they just came out with it. March Performance is now making a complete setup for Big blocks dual serpentine belt pulleys and new brackets if needed but the belts and pulleys will use stock brackets.
I just read the High Performance Mopar and their new add has them listed and shown. Nice setup. Also these are Billet pulleys nice look and shine rather than our old painted ones.
either call them (734)729-9070 or website is http://www.marchperf.com/

The new brackets use turn buckle adjusters.

Christian

I wish these had been around when i did my 383.
These are prolly also under drive systems to boot.

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Formula S recreation
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 09-01-2000, 05:33 PM

Dr. R,

My curiosity wants to know what are the dimensions of the water pump and crank pullies you have? (Diameter and total offset/width)