Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-22-2000, 04:11 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

OK For you guys that seen me post around here. I just did the shakedown run on my 70 Newport Convertible. I put in a mild 383 with Hokker Super comps, Edelbrock performer, Edel, 750 carb, Lunati 277 dur/477 lift. Mopar 2500 stall. At first, put the engine in with a different cam. drove it for 150 miles, sat in traffic the hottest it ran was 190. This time out, it would overheat when idling, but drop down when I started moving. This was not good as I couldn't shut the car off because of the hot starter! To me this sounds like an air flow problem. I don't see how by just changing the cam. Also A friend of my said it might also do with the fact that I only have a PCV with no breather. Should I put a breather in the other vlave cover? Would it being lean, cause the overheating this bad. It starts to climb about 3 minutes after sitting idling. It also has a shroud and the orginal solid drive fan. Radiator has been recored, and a new water pump. This didn't start until the new cam. I tore into the engine to find the tapping noise was the exhaust lobe on the #2 cylinder went flat. Turned out to be a bad cam. Called the machine shop and he warrantied the cam Plus he stepped up the cam to the above specs. I didn't want to go to big since it has P/B and intended to be daily driver more or less. Overall the drive went fairly well, except: Stater won't work when hot. Probably the headers. Fuel tank leaks out the sending unit I think. I re-did the in tank line in 3/8 along with a new filter. Also a canister style Fram filter, with a Carter street mechanical pump. It is a little too loud with just glass packs on it. The local muffler shop said they couldn't get 2 1/2 inch out the back. You know how small C-bodies are! Well I didn't get to race my friends 340 Challenger. Maybe next time. Still gotta fine tune it. It sputters at the upper rpms. guess its lean since it was orginally tuned for a stock 383. Where can I get metering rods for the Edelbrock? The timing is at 36 @ 3000. I think about 7 initial. Also When I put it in N or P it will idle at about 900 for something like 30 seconds they raise up to 1500. When I put it into gear when it isn't racing it drops about 100 rpm. From 900 to about 800. If I leave it in N or P it starts racing. Weird. I think I have a 70's version of 'Christine'. Any suggestions comments would be appreciated. I'm dying to take it to the Desoto Dragway down here, but don't want to risk getting stuck with a heat soaked started or an overheated tree-80-tree. If you want to see the car, I bought it off of www.moparmadness.com Look under the cars for sale. I think its the only C-body there. However it doesn't have a Sure-Grip. Found that out for sure this weekend. Thanks again.

Bob

for a listing of cars my wife and I collected, check out under 'Whats the Point' I think its under Front wheel drive chat. Had a bad day when I posted there.
Old 09-08-2000, 10:05 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Dude; I had the same problem too. Just not that extreme. The larger cam is hungry for fuel. Now that it's lean, it's getting hot. Edelbrock has the rods your lookin for. I don't know if the Carter rods will work.
I think everything else ya wrote was on target. Except the exhaust. 2 1/2 isn't all that large now is it? LOL
Old 09-09-2000, 06:16 PM
Inactive User

I bet your right. Makes sense. With the stock 383 it ran fine. For the 150 miles on the new engine and passed cam it also ran fine. Put the other ca, in and now it runs hot. Checked out my carb at Edelbrock. I have a 1411. According to Edel. it is set lean for maximum fuel economy. Worked fine for stock, but now with mild porting, Performer intake, Hooker Super Comps, I'm flowing lot more air. Now since the new cam, it developed a miss at the top of first, and also a slight bog off the line. That explains why I can't run my timing where it should be had to retard it a little to fight detonation. Gotta find the calibration kit I need. Thanks