Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-19-2001, 08:53 PM
Inactive User

Question

I guess it is because I am getting old but the noise of those chambered mufflers are killing me. My headers are noisy enough but they are a necessary evil. (my baby has to breath)
Well, this summer is interior and body so I will be pulling the interior apart and sanding and paint as well as new carpet, headliner and so on. I need a good sound deadner to help minimize the droaning noise of the mufflers at cruise speed. Has anyone tried the spray undercoat on floorboards of their car and or on the inside of the roof?? I know Dynamat is good for that kind of stuff but it tends to 'unstick' itself when it is on a hot surface.
Old 05-19-2001, 09:20 PM
Inactive User

I have the heavy spray-on under coating under my car and it really dosen't help with the noise, but it may protect the floorboards from rust?
Old 05-20-2001, 12:01 AM
Many Cubic Inches

I wanted to deaden the sound on my Cuda so when I installed the new carpet I also put a thick underpad down. I will know within a week how much a difference it will make but I would guess allot. One word of advice though...the underpad raises the height quite abit from the natural design. Wherever a you fasten anything down over the carpet, cut away the underpad from around where the bolt and trim will be touching.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:06 AM
Read : Untouchable

Default yo

take a walk through your local car audio or high end electronics store, and ask about cheap sound deadener.
you can get stuff that is designed the absorb up to 5000 watts of sound from 10-500 HZ, right where the exhaust resonance usually sits. you can probably get enough to cover the entire inside of your car for about 50 bucks, maybe less, depending on how cheap of the stuff you get.

hey Slepr1, those sound like pretty sweet rides...what's that cordoba run on the track? i got a 77 doba with corinthian leather, sunroof, leather, 400 CID.
the back window got shot out but i wanna know what to do with it. any ideas? its an awesome cruiser, but i can't afford to insure another vehicle.
Old 05-20-2001, 09:01 AM

Hey DR, I just replaced my carpet on friday. I bought a rubber membrane from year one that goes under the carpet. It installs very easy and is only 3/16 of and inch thick. It does seem to help w/noise but really helps cut down on heat. My feet used to fry from the headers! I used the old carpet to line the trunk and although it looks a little hoaky it really helps the "bass drum" sydrome. <><