Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-20-2001, 10:31 AM
Inactive User

Question

One of the previous owners had wires spliced, and taped, and butt connected etc. so I want to eliminate that mess altogether. I am missing the wiring harness that goes from the alternator and ccoil back to the firewall. I converted to a 1 wire alternato, so I am hoping that I can get rid of that wiring harness and convert to the MSD.
Does the MSD 6AL have an internal voltage regulator so I can eliminate the stock one? I want to eliminate the stock electronic ignition altogether.

This is my first brand new motor with a mechanical cam, so I want to make sure it fires instantly. I can handle most backyard mechanical duties, but all of the cars I have owned in the past already ran, and I am a little nervous about first time firing. Auto electrics is not exactly my forte, so what is the best way to check to make sure I have spark before firing? I am assuming turn the key on and check the postitive coil post with a test light?

Oil pump is primed, timing is set, distrinutor and plug wires are in. I just need to make sure I have spark.

Can anyone give me an electronic hand? I am a rookie in many areas.
Old 05-20-2001, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

I don't have the installation instructions handy but if I remember correctly, the only wire that taps into the stock wiring will be the small red one (should be connected to a 12 volt switched circut), it supplies the voltage to turn the "box" on. If I'm not mistaken, a MSD will provide full power operating with 9-18 volts and run with as low as 5 volts. Do you have the installation instructions? They have specific directions for checking for spark (does not involve coil connections) If not, you can find wiring instructions and troubleshooting instructions online at www.msdignition.com
Old 05-20-2001, 07:18 PM

big red to 12V+ battery, big black to batt -. Little red to ignition hot (anywhere) white to points. other wires for electronic distributor. Line up rotor to No. 1 plug and attach timing light to wire. turn on ignition and touch white wire to a ground and release, you should see a flash from the light, if not, something is not right. That link will tell you all you need to know. I would set initial advance to 10 BTDC. give a few squirts from the carb accel pump and light her off. keep the timing light pointed toward you, if you dont see pulses, stop cranking. I dont know the roller cam break in procedure.
Old 05-20-2001, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Thanx

Got her fired up. I just used common sense and got verification from a few people including you all. The distributor was re-curved, but not advanced enough so it didn't fire until after about 3 or 4 rotations. She is running though! The fuel was burning my eyes, and it got pretty hot, but everything so far seems to be in check. No ballast resistor or voltage regulatore required!
I am sure I have some unhaoppy neighbors for sure.
Old 05-20-2001, 11:12 PM
Inactive User

You need neighbors like mine, the other day I did a John Force type burnout in the street in front of my house. My neighbor Greg had a big smirk on his face when he asked me "is that all you got?"......rofl
Old 05-21-2001, 06:52 PM
Inactive User

Cool Burnout for the neighbor

Ya gotta love neighbors like that Mopar guy! Guy across the street has an old Chevy coupe, so I didn't think he cared, but the old lady next door is another story. The noise and the fumes from 108 octane probably did a number on her flower bed!