Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-21-2001, 11:03 AM
Inactive User

318, finally getting to put it back together, some questions now?! Not necessarily Hi-PO but a little stronger than stock!

Should I use locktite on any of the fasteners? oil pump mounting bolts? rod bolts/nuts? or should I NOT use it anywhere?

Anti-sieze compound? Exhaust mounting fasteners? Water pump? spark plug threads? or NOT on anything?

Head bolts that go into water jacket, should I use something on them like liquid teflon thread sealer? or copper coat? or RTV sealer? or use nothing on them?

I got new rocker arms, pushrods, lifters, cam etc. but I took it apart about 3 months ago thinking I would put it back together within a coupla days, didn't work like that, now I can't remember, on the rocker arms there's a left and a right, is the left/right orientation like looking at the head on the engine from the fender? like if I'm on the pass side looking at the engine is the #8 (far left cyl.) is the left side rocker arm, THE LEFT? I know it sounds silly but it could be confusing! (well okay maybe just to me) I just want to put it back together and I dont want to have to take it back apart trying to figure why i won't start/run!
Old 05-21-2001, 01:56 PM
Inactive User

As for the water pump bolts, I used teflon tape. Hasn't leaked yet. 1 yr. and counting.

Definitely nothing on the spark plug threads.

I know you must use something on exhaust fasteners, I think RTV sealant, but not absolutely certain.
Old 05-22-2001, 06:17 PM
Inactive User

On mine I used nutlock on the cam sprocket bolt, thread sealant on the oil galley plugs, and silicone sealant on the waterpump bolts, and in the corners of the intake (sp?); where the intake gaskets meet the headgaskets and the front and rear block to intake gaskets.

Also used nutlock ont the torque coverter and flexplate bolts.

I didn't have to take out the front and rear exhaust manifold studs, but if you did, you definately want to use a thread sealer on those.

Don't use anything but oil on the rod- and main bearing bolts, or the oilpump bolts. If you use MoS2 or any other friction modifier you may overtorque those. No sealants or silicone.

Good luck