Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-21-2001, 05:43 PM
Mopars win..others whine

Joe Ruttman got the win and Scott Riggs came in 2nd. Ted Musgrave made it 3 Mopars in the top 5 with his 4th place finish. Scott Riggs was the pole sitter due to qualifying being rained out and they lined up according to points. Ruttman set the race record at just over 111 mph. It was also Dodge's first win at Pikes Peak. The finish had to be run with a two lap dash because of a caution with 2 laps to go. The race was 204 laps long instead of 200. This also makes it two in a row for Bobby Hamilton Racing.

During the telecast it was noted that Bobby Hamilton Racing might field 4 trucks next year. Rumor is that Rick Carelli (I think I spelled it right) might be the driver.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:59 AM

You know what this means thought, don't you? Now NASCAR ( GM friendly) will try again to slow the Rams down. This was the second race in a row that they have taken something away from the Rams. They don't consider a Dodge win a popular one, NASCAR sucks. Enjoy this while you can. Because NASCAR will not let it happen for long. Hopefully the Rams can remain competetive until the season ends, and win a championship.

Sometimes I believe that NASCAR enforces GM's ability to be competetive. If you have something other than a GM, and win, you will be penalized in some way.

Look at the Intrepids. They didn't win the Daytona 500, or even lead the most laps, but they were altered to slow them down.

Look at the history of NASCAR. Way back when the GMs couldn't keep up with the Fords and Chryslers, NASCAR outlawed the engines, or restricted them to smaller cubic inch engines. There is a reason why GM has won more races in the modern era of NASCAR racing, That's the way NASCAR wanted it.

NASCAR, NO LONGER A SHOWCASE FOR BETTER ENGINEERING, BUT A FORUM FOR LEGISLATING AWAY ANY THOUGHT OF IT.
Sorry for the doom and gloom, it's just how I see the thing.
Old 05-22-2001, 03:46 PM
Inactive User

You're right about changing rules to please the largest number of people. Unfortunately, that's the name of the game in all motorsports competition anymore.

Don't know if you ever read the story, but when Darlington first opened, Big Bill France went to a local Chrysler Plymouth dealer and bought a new Plymouth coupe off the showroom floor. He offered it to racing star Johnny Manz to drive in the first 500 mile race on a superspeedway.

They tore down the engine and blueprinted it, tied the doors closed with leather straps, and put in a seatbelt. The only "trick" was the 6-ply truck tires they installed. The little 6-cyl Plymouth won the race over a bunch of V8's and bigger 6's.

Somewhere between that simple formula and the hyper-tweaked Winston Cup, is a happy medium where cars are safe, but nearly stock. Designing for performance should occur in the factory, not the board room of the sanctioning body.

All the changes to make Winston Cup a pure race car series is why we can no longer buy rear-wheel-drive V8's in a two door mid-size car. I don't like Winston Cup, but it's all we have, and I suppose it's all we deserve.
Old 05-23-2001, 11:59 AM
Inactive User

Default Where are the official results?

Nascar.com does not have the "official" results posted yet. They usually do it by Monday afternoon unless there is some cheating going on and a decision has not been made as to how to deal with it. On the other hand, the standings have been updated with respect to the last race. Maybe someone just has not done their work yet.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:47 PM

I admit to not being to up on nascar, but help me out, here. Are the trucks, using the same basic motor, as the cup cars? I realise the rules are different for each, but how can the trucks be winning everything in sight, while the cup cars, are only placing well at restrictor-plate races. Any insight, here, would be appreciated
Old 05-25-2001, 12:06 AM
Inactive User

Please refer to my post of 5/9/01 under "Dodge wins #5". Confusing ain't it?
Old 05-25-2001, 02:10 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation WINNING IS GREAT, BUT............

Gotta slow them Rams down! More of the spectators drive them Shiverlays. They aint' gonna come if they might have to see a damned old Dodge win.

On to the cars, they've already received some of the treatment, but it looks like Elliot is sitting on #4 for the race at Charlotte. There's apparently some power and Bill seems to qualify well, but he seems to fall behind in traffic. Sterling Marlin was on #23 and seems down on power (unless sandbagging) but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him finish much higher than his starting position. The car program seems to be stuck in the doldrums, some of it due to NASCAR rules. Maybe what NASCAR really means is National Association Supporting Chevrolet Auto Racing. Think so?
426DMB
Old 05-26-2001, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

Angry NASCAR & MoPar

Well as usual when mopar kicks some butt lets try and slow them down. Last year (and the years before) all I heard about in the truck series was the maufacturers championship in the truck series. Anybody heard anything lately? I Wonder Why??
No respect as usual!!!!