Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-21-2001, 09:36 PM
Inactive User

Question

HI I HAVE JUST FINISHED 415 STROKER AND I HAVE NEARLY 0 OIL PRESSURE AT IDLE .WITH ENGINE AT 4000RPM AND ABOVE 50 PSI . NOTE THAT OIL PAN &PICKUP TUBE HAD TO BE FABRICATED.THE PICKUP TUBE IS STOCK REAR SUMP EXTENDED 4 INCHES FOR ADDED DEPTH OF OIL PAN.WE ARE RUNNING9 QTS OIL WITH WINDAGE TRAY. WILL PUMP PICKUP OIL FROM THIS HEIGHT? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:06 PM
Inactive User

Check all of your oil galley line plugs. I had a low oil pressure problem on a 340. Pulled the engine out 4 times and couldn't find the problem. Turned out to be the two oil galley plugs behind the camshaft thrust plate were not reinstalled by the block machine shop!

On advice from Ken Neve I fabricated an oil priming shaft out of a cutoff keyway and a steel rod. If that is not it, spin the oil pump and tear the engine down a little at a time. Look for where there is alot of oil coming out - that is where you are losing oil pressure.

Everyone told me I had worn my bearings out, because on first start I did not have the cam gear that drives the distributor in correctly and chewed up the oil pump hex on a new engine. It was missing oil galley plugs. Good luck. I hope this helps. Let us know what you find. We all learn from each other's problems.